• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dockside water hook up

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Dockside water hook up

Post by Serenity »

I want to hook up dockside water to my 98-28TE. The water tank is on the port side, however there appears to be little room to put a tee in. Does anyone have any sugggestions where to install the plumbing?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Dockside water hook up

Post by RobS »

If you have a transom shower, tee it into the cold water line running down the port side.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

That's something that I wanted to do. But looking into it a little further and reading the hot water heater tank do's and don'ts on the hot water heater, it was a definite no-no.Check it out before you plumb it in directly.
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

tbnolin wrote:That's something that I wanted to do. But looking into it a little further and reading the hot water heater tank do's and don'ts on the hot water heater, it was a definite no-no.Check it out before you plumb it in directly.
Hey Tom,

I'm not following here. Your hot water heater doesn't care if the cold water feeding it came from the tank or a water inlet from the hose. The only big concern with "City water" is the pressure. Most boat inlets have a built in regulator which drop it to 30 psi or so. Was that the issue you had heard about? Because it IS true that 100psi city water can cause major problems.

I should add - make sure you have a backflow preventer and use a potable water safe hose...
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

RobS wrote:If you have a transom shower, tee it into the cold water line running down the port side.
Rob, if I tap into the CW on the transom, where do you reccomend that I install the inlet? Next to the SW washdown? Oh, do you have any secrets about navigating through Moriches?

Thanks

Max
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Well there Doug, it seems as though I may have to look into that a little bit more. I guess I don't know if I have a regulator or not. It's gotta be the pressure thing as to why it would say that. Another thing to put on the "things to do list"!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I had a hook up installed when I bought the boat. They put the hook up right next to the tank fill. I also had them install a fresh water wash down which they put next to the SW wash down.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Carl wrote:I had a hook up installed when I bought the boat. They put the hook up right next to the tank fill. I also had them install a fresh water wash down which they put next to the SW wash down.
Ditto on my boat.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I finally had a chance to hook up the dockside water inlet. It was a snap, less than a hour. I tapped into the cold water going to the transom shower with a Whale ""t fitting, drilled a 3" hole by the salt water washdown, to install the inlet and ran the blue 15mm pipe. No more pumps at the dock.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Just make sure part of your checklist as you leave the boat for the week is to shut off the dock water.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

jleonard wrote:Just make sure part of your checklist as you leave the boat for the week is to shut off the dock water.
Thanks for the advice. However, I never leave the water on if I am not on the vessel. Right now I am preparing for Aunt Irene who is coming this weekend. Nothing like being right in the path of an angry woman.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”