• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Window screening

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Window screening

Post by Halcyon »

Hi, I'm looking to see what others have done regarding privacy in their cabins. Most Albins are blessed with lots of windows in their main salons. Under way and at anchor this is great but the ability to get a little privacy at the dock and reduce solar loads has me looking for some window covering.

I'm not particularly interested in traditional curtains primarily because my boat doesn't have convenient places for them to be stored. Exterior snap on screens are a good choice but have a few drawbacks. I like them because you can pick the amount of opacity. Thin or thick fabric and varying density screens can be used. The screens are neat because you can still see out but they block the sun and provide privacy. The downside is they are outside so they will get dirty and weather. Plus you may have to store a bunch of wet dirty covers every morning. Additionally, I'm not crazy about drilling holes in my house.

I am thinking about lighter fabric panels that would fit on the inside of the windows with snaps, velcro and or bungees. The only downside I see to this is getting a nice fit on the inside of the forward windscreens that are slanted inwards. I dont know if the ability to see out like the screening can be achieved as well on the inside.

Wha thave you all done and how does it work for you?
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Window screening

Post by Carl »

The wife came up with this idea for our portholes and it has worked well. It goes on the inside and can easily be removed. This is not the pattern she chose but there are many to choose from. Once the lights go out you can open the hatches. It lets light in, but you cannot see into the boat. It was very cheap and only took her less than an hour to come up with the template and cut them out with sissors. We leave ours on all of the time for the UV protection.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Window screening

Post by Halcyon »

Very cool idea for the port holes. I know my crew would like that in the head.

Return to “General Discussion”