• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Are we there yet?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Are we there yet?

Post by jcollins »

Hello all,
The strangest thing happened this morning. I woke up to 40 degrees, sun shining, birds chirping. The snow is melting away and for the first time in months I'm not wearing a heavy coat. Is this a tease, a mirage, or is it time to crawl out of my winter hole and start thinking about spring? :?
Maryland has been spared any heavy snow this year compared to the rest of the east coast. I hope others are having a good weather day today.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Are we there yet?

Post by Russell »

I had the same feeling with a beautiful sunshiny day and temperatures in the 50's. Went to the marina to check on Silver Lining and took her out for a little run to clean the hull and prop. The water was flat as a pool table and no other boats to be seen. Just a beautiful day on the Chesapeake Bay. Can't wait for spring to come for real.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I went down to the storage compound to-day to plug in the shore power to bring my batteries back up. Only three and a half more months until launch day!
Then I went cross country skiing.
Cheers!
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I fixed my snowblower again on saturday during the freezing rain. :(
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Yup, had the same feeling today with the sun shining I decided to take a nice ride down to Freeport Boat store to look around and dream a bit. Checked out all the shelves and new electronics available. Couldnt come home empty handed so I got my first pack of Marine toilet paper, lol and a new set of Canvass snap pliers to hold me over.. Next trip its time to pick up some bottom paint and get moving.. If only the damn 2 feet of snow would melt away so I can jump aboard, Count down time
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Only 40 days until Quest leaves the dock for the first time this year. At least that's the plan and it has worked the last two years. That's the good thing about leaving her in the water over the winter. Just open the intake seacock, start the engine, and go. If you're close to Annapolis and want to go for a ride let me know.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Plastic comes off Legacy April 1. Probably going to head down and check her out today - - just to make sure she's ship shape and to make a punch list for Spring commissioning.

A little marital advice: When fighting ice dams (New Englanders know what they are) make sure you ask your bride which nylons to take before you grab some, cut them up, fill the legs with ice melt and heave them to the roof & ice-filed gutters. It's a mistake I'll only make once!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

OK,

Just t give you a little inspiration, we had an outstanding February weekend in the San Francisco Area.

I believe it was in the 70's in some places. Had my Grandson on board:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Another Picture , coming up in the Estuary near Jack London Square in Oakland:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Legacy wrote:
A little marital advice: When fighting ice dams (New Englanders know what they are) make sure you ask your bride which nylons to take before you grab some, cut them up, fill the legs with ice melt and heave them to the roof & ice-filed gutters. It's a mistake I'll only make once!

Rick
I'm not familiar with this method...I use a 22oz hammer and curse a lot...

Please explain!

I'm sitting on the new boat, pretending she's in the water. My aching arms and back remind me that I used the warm weather on Sunday to attack the snow on the roof again. I figure if I'm prepared for the next Big Snow it just may skip us!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

If you google ice dams, or anything like that you'll find the nylon method. Fill with calcium chloride, tie off and lay on the roof vertically so the stocking lays down the roof and over the gutter just slightly. This is suposed to break up the snow/ice.
I assume you can then place the unit somewhere else and it will continue to break up the ice.
I am using the "natural plan"...eventually it will warm up and melt on it's own.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Legacy wrote:Plastic comes off Legacy April 1. Probably going to head down and check her out today - - just to make sure she's ship shape and to make a punch list for Spring commissioning.

Rick
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like my household. Try to do your best only to find out...wrong pantyhose!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Legacy wrote:A little marital advice: When fighting ice dams (New Englanders know what they are) make sure you ask your bride which nylons to take before you grab some, cut them up, fill the legs with ice melt and heave them to the roof & ice-filed gutters. It's a mistake I'll only make once!

Rick
I can attest to this method working well. Fill nylons with ice melt (not rock salt) and place over the ice dams. 12 - 15 hours later and I had a clear channel through over 8" of ice.

If I never have to pick up a shovel again it would be ok with me. One section of my roof has a change in pitch. It accumulated over 4' of snow. With 2" of rain on top, I had to do something before things got too heavy. Up on the roof with a shovel and 6 hours later she was cleared. Problem was I threw the snow on the driveway. I thought I could fire up the snow blower and clear it but the stuff was like cement on the ground. Had to shovel again to break it up enough to throw it.

This picture was taken at the first rest break with just the front cleared off.
_33V3566.JPG
Then the main roof started to worry me. I climbed up there and thought 40' down to the backyard is really going to hurt. After slipping twice, I got off the roof. I found a couple of eager guys and sent them up to clear the roof.

Come on Spring !!
Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

This winter's weather has generated quite the volume of claims for my independent property insurance adjusting business. Between frozen pipes, weight of ice/snow and ice damming.

Careful with the hammer method or you could end up with this
DSCN4121.JPG
DSCN4124.JPG
This is when you know your gutters are securely hung
DSCN4157.JPG
Commercial metal trussed framed warehouse couldn't take the snow load
04. Metal Warehouse Roof Collapse.JPG
Wood framed gable roof didn't fair too well either
DSCN4106.JPG
2nd Level wood deck, now a grade level wood deck
DSCN2543.JPG
DSCN2544.JPG
Screen room not strong enough
DSCN3248.JPG
Fiberglass patio cover held for 25 years, but not this time
DSCN3988.JPG
Aluminum patio covers for the scrap yard
DSCN3491.JPG
DSCN3810.JPG
All of these claims are getting paid, so don't risk life and limb clearing your roof, it just ain't worth it.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

It's sad seeing the damage...no one has been hurt. We've had several barns collapsing up this way. One farm lost about 100 cows when one 400 foot barn collapsed last week. Several farm hands were in the barn just minutes before it came down finishing up their chores. A second 400 foot barn, same farm, collapsed three days later after receiving rain/freezing rain/snow ( and a powerful thunderstorm!). This time all the animals were out, for fear it was just a matter of time before it came down. A so called dry trend for the next few days...only flurries and light snow for the weekend. Come oooonnnnn Spring time!!!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “General Discussion”