• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

30 FC Reply

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

30 FC Reply

Post by kathylsails »

To the person with the 30 FC who e-mailed me: I have tried several times to reply but keep getting a message that your e-mail address failed. So, I will reply here:

It's great to hear from another 30 FC owner! I have no idea what brand the stern ladder is; it came with the boat. If it ever stops raining or snowing I would be glad to see if there is a brand name hidden on it somewhere. It works quite well and flips up so we can secure it to the rail when we want to stow the dinghy on the swim platform. There is also a telescoping ladder that comes out of the platform and goes under water. It works well but I worry because I'm not sure how well it will hold up with time. But, the previous owners apparently used it a lot and had grandkids on board--so it must be more durable than I think!

Backing the boat is actually not that difficult--even I can now do it! We learned from a post on AOG. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3015

Happy boating!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 30 FC Reply

Post by johnmurray »

I am not sure what the question was, but my A-30FC came with the telescoping swim ladder under the swim platform and I have found it meets my needs so I have never bothered looking at alternatives.
As far as backing the boat goes I soon discovered that you cannot steer the boat with the rudder when going astern. I use the bow thruster to align the boat in the correct direction and apply stern power with the rudder amidships. It works evry time.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

30 FC Reply

Post by Bidgood »

Kathy, John

Thanks for the info. I will check my email to see whats up. I have a trip planned to Everglades city next week and it is "stern in" docking with a strong tidal current. Though I'd ask for pointers before "practice time"

Regards,

Tom L.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Have a great trip! Re: Stern-in docking--it takes lots of practice, especially in currents. We still are nowhere near perfect. Thank goodness none of the folks who have seen my "practice trials" took videos! BTW: You and John have good taste in boats! :-)
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Post by Bluey »

Bidgood, I'm jealous. Even if Bluey weren't on land, it's too cold to take her out. Re: stern in docking. Do I have a history on that! Check the sticky on the Albin TE forum. The only way I've found to do it is to wait till slack tide, aim as if you're going in bowfirst, turn at the last minute, come alongside the piling, and warp around it using lines. The only person I've seen do otherwise at "my" marina, including those with duals, is a semi-commercial fishing boat who does the classic turn, overshoot, reverse with lots of oomph, forward with lots of oomph, and then straight in.
Maurice the Boatless
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Post by Bidgood »

We did some "practice" this weekend on a trip down to Marco Island (Florida). When the dock hand asked me if I had a stern thruster I decided to do the bow in approach. All is well that ends well. At least it was 75 degrees and sunny.

Tom L.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"

Return to “General Discussion”