• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Added a new toy to the boat last weekend

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Added a new toy to the boat last weekend

Post by Mariner »

For lifting a couple kayaks and a 90# rowing dinghy to the aft cockpit roof, we bought one of these cranes.

http://www.davit.com/remcrane.htm (we got the bigger one)

The quality of construction was actually much better than I anticipated and the installation was a breeze (considering). I've tested it only with a kayak so far, for which it worked great. My guess is that the 90# dinghy will be a bit heavy to lift, but that the unit should be well up to the task. The next step is to stiffen the roof to support the load of carrying the kayaks and boat, and to cut and fit some chocks for the dinghy.
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

single davit

Post by AlMar »

Neat looking device. Where did you mount it, and how much was it?
AlMar
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We mounted it to the forward starboard corner of the cockpit roof, or the aft starbord corner of the flybridge, depending on how you look at it. I will have to get some pictures to post, but I'm leaving town for several weeks here pretty soon, so it may be a while before I get a chance.

Basically, the bottom required four bolts through the roof, which fortunately for us was nearly 3" thick and immediately above the load bearing wall (for good support and weight distribution). Best of all, the area below where we drilled into is not interior space and drains overboard, so we should have no water intrusion problems. About 2' up it uses a bracket to attach to the railing for lateral support. If anything, this is the weak point of the system, but it seemed fully up to the task, in my opinion, because we attached it right where the railing makes a 90 degree turn at the corner of the flybridge, so it spreads the load back across the flybridge in the two directions it most needs to (forward, and to port), in order to offset the main loadsl the swing-arm will encounter (starboard and aft).

It's hard to explain. I'll have to get pictures.

We also installed a Magma propane grill. Can't wait to use that for the first time. Looks like it won't be until the Fourth of July though, as I will be in Norway until then.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
That looks like a good crane. What is the maximum capacity? Were you talking about getting a Zodiak or some other type of dingy?

By the way, one of my clients is in Norway right now and he is telling me how beautiful it is. Take plenty of pictures and post them for us. He also told me that there is wireless access all over. Keep us posted on your travels.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The link there says 200#, but I was thinking we got one that would lift 270#. I'll have to check on that. Regardless, our rowing dinghy weighs only 90#, so it's not a concern.

As for an inflatable, we're still debating 1) whether or not we need a "go fast" dinghy, and 2) if so, what kind. If we do get one, it will likely be hung on the swimstep with a SeaWise davit system: http://www.davitsystem.com/

For the time being, we'll just tow my 13' Whaler around when on extended trips, and use the rowing dinghy on shorter trips.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”