• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dripping water pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dripping water pump

Post by Denis »

Just a quick question.
I have a Johnson raw water pump mounted on the front of my engine. I noticed a drip from the pulley shaft every 20 or 30 seconds. Two questions, Is that a normal drip that I never noticed and is it worth repairing it or just buy a new pump?
It's a pretty tight spot, I think I can get the pump out but the water lines come up from the bottom, not quite sure how to get those off. I suppose I'll figure that out when I get into it.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Dripping water pump

Post by DougSea »

Denis wrote:Just a quick question.
I have a Johnson raw water pump mounted on the front of my engine. I noticed a drip from the pulley shaft every 20 or 30 seconds. Two questions, Is that a normal drip that I never noticed and is it worth repairing it or just buy a new pump?
It's a pretty tight spot, I think I can get the pump out but the water lines come up from the bottom, not quite sure how to get those off. I suppose I'll figure that out when I get into it.
Hey Denis, I'd be replacing that pump or having it rebuilt. Leaks are not normal and I've been on a boat when the shaft snapped after a period of drips. That boat had twins so we got in ok. I noticed a leak on mine this past summer, had the yard replace the pump...better safe than sorry.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yes replace the pump (or rebuild). Drips are normal for a stuffing box, not for a water pump. One of the seals is shot.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Don't ignore it. If you can rebuild it yourself for the cost of the rebuild kit that's likely the way to go. If you have to pay for the rebuild and the parts kit then it may not be much more to replace it.
DougSea wrote:I noticed a leak on mine this past summer, had the yard replace the pump...better safe than sorry.
Wow Doug, I did not think there was anything that was not on your "I can do this list"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

I too had this happen on our Yanmar a few years back. We had the pump rebuilt, no problems since.

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Don't ignore it. If you can rebuild it yourself for the cost of the rebuild kit that's likely the way to go. If you have to pay for the rebuild and the parts kit then it may not be much more to replace it.
DougSea wrote:I noticed a leak on mine this past summer, had the yard replace the pump...better safe than sorry.
Wow Doug, I did not think there was anything that was not on your "I can do this list"
There are two lists Rob...the "I can do this" list, which most everything on the boat is included on AND the "I can do this but man that looks like a pain in the a$$" list. The water pump on a Penninsular falls onto list #2!!

Now back to a beer and the Volvo D6 manual... 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Yup, replace and hang on to the old one is what I did. Of course that was during the season, this time of year missing a week of boating is no big deal (for most of us anyway). I am going to drop the old one off at the local machine shop after the first and have him rebuild it at his leisure, then put it on the shelf for next time. (The Yanmar replacement costs about $500).
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

then put it on the shelf for next time.
With the impeller NOT installed I hope. Keep the impeller out of the light and in a cool dry environment.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Thanks everyone for your reply.
It looks like I might just replace the pump since it is probably the original one and is getting up there in years. It looks like a quality pump, I hope the new one is as beefy.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

I found my pump leaking last summer. Ordered a new one then found out it was on major back order (I'm talking over a month) and it cost over $500. I found all the parts to rebuild mine for less than $100 and did it myself. If you're mechanically skilled it's not a major job.
Owner of 28' TE
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I always enjoy a bit of a mechanical challenge so I think I'll rebuild it and see how it goes. I find that when I see how something is put together I feel better about it.
I don't think I have ever bought a new alternator or starter. I always have them rebuilt and then I know for sure what is in them and how they are put together. They are better than new I think. D
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”