• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

On the Water Towing Poll

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

What towing insurance do you have?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 am

BoatUS
47%
SeaTow
25%
Other
2%
Boat insurance
15%
None
11%

Total votes: 55

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

On the Water Towing Poll

Post by jcollins »

I'm thinking of changing from my insurance carrier to BoatUS or SeaTow.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Re: On the Water Towing Poll

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Ihave been very satisfied with boat US over the last 10 years or so, but then I haven't had any claims! And they did misclassify me as an east coast boat when Igot this Albin - quickly corrected at a significant difference.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

My boat insurance policy includes emergency towing up to $1000. A tow, if needed would likely come from a local marina. I don't think there are any towing services up here on the Ottawa River.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

I've had Boat US for 14+ years and have no complaints. It is not expensive to add towing to your membership. The only time we used that service, thank goodness, was on an Easter Sunday several years ago and were glad to have it.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

I had SeaTow for a few years with no complaints with their service. I switched to TowBoatUS because their boats were berthed at the end of my dock and I got tired of the dirty looks when they would pass me while I was wearing a SeaTow T-shirt. Both rates are comparable. I have had to use TowBoatUS. They provided fast, exceptional service.
Owner of 28' TE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

In addition to what is on my marine insurance I have carried Sea Tow for the past 7 seasons and BoatUS for 10 years before that .... Sea Tow has multiple boats in my area where only 10 years ago BoatUS was the only game in town with 1 boat covering a lot of coast line, they now have 2. Fortunatley I have never needed to make the call for a tow in all my years of boating. I have heard only good reports regarding both in my area. Beyond good reports i look to who has the greatest number of tow boats in my general cruising area. Prices are comparable and I carry their top tow package ... in the range of $145. A couple of years ago while renting a boat in Abaco I bucked up for a BoatUS package as they had a tow boat out of Marsh Harbour, my homeport. How does it go ... "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Prior to a Bahamas trip a few years ago a friend all but twisted my arm to buy the Boat US extended towing package. Prior to this had never had to use this service. Returning from the islands in Florida I had a soft grounding and mechanical failure. 2o min of service to unground and a two mile tow approached $700! Prompt service, professional and a well spent $125! Love the unlimited part also.
nan1rik1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by nan1rik1 »

Have had Boat US for 15 years and have used them a couple of times and always been satisfied with the service and professionalism. they have returned my boats right into my slip which was not always an easy feat. Most of our boating is on the LI sound and Boat US can reach us from either the LI or the Ct. shore very quickly. Prior to them we were with Sea Tow and were towed by the Marine Police before Sea tow ever responded.
jetboatdale
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Calverton n.y.

Post by jetboatdale »

Hey
Robs , no opinion from you? :(
Capt Ram1
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Lake Worth- Greek Islands

Post by Capt Ram1 »

I used Sea Tow the last time I had it ,mostly because they had better covarage in the Bahamas- but that was 10 years ago
Greek Islands
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

I use Sea Tow because they cover RI & MA where we cruise. Without fail use them once/season. Always some stupid problem. Always a fast response.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Thanks everyone for your votes and replies. It looks like Boat US is the winner. I'm not surprised.

Thanks again and stay warm!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”