• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Taking an Albin 46TE down the ICW

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

larryrutter
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Mamaroneck, NY

Taking an Albin 46TE down the ICW

Post by larryrutter »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board, and I am a broker for <removed by moderator> who are working with the
new Albin line. I will try NOT to be the typical sales guy, but rather try to help you keep up with the news
that I am hearing regarding new Albins, and my recent experience aboard.

To that end, I just came back from delivering an Albin 46 Tournament Express to Florida from New York.
It was a 10 day trip (could have perhaps done it in 8 days), that had the Albin running at times at 28 knots, hitting
10 - 15 foot seas, and docking against winds and high currents. i.e. she was put to the test. She performed
admirably.

I have blogged and videoed the experience, and if you are interested you can find that here:
<link to external site removed. PM member directly for link>

Start on Day 1 and work your way up. Click on the links if you'd like to see the videos.

If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to reach out, and I will try to get them answered
for you.

Best regards,

Larry
jimlewis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Little River, SC

Re: Taking an Albin 46TE down the ICW

Post by jimlewis »

Larry,

Enjoyed the trip dialogue. Before I bought my 27 Albin, I took my Freedom 21' sailboat from Broad Creek Marina in Little Washington, NC to Little River, SC (about 200 miles) with the wind (15-20 knots) in my face all the way. As I had to motor sail with a 6 HP outboard at 6 knots it took three days of very intense,wet going. The view along the ICW was beautiful and I look forward to making more lengthy trips in my Albin.

Thanks for taking us along,

Jim Lewis
Smithfield, NC
Six Grand
Albin 27 SC
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Welcome Larry.
I want to take that trip down some Fall and stay the winter in the sunny south...work seems to get in the way!

I have something that you might be able to help me with. I'm trying to locate my HIN on my 40'NSC. It's not on the transom where a HIN would normally be. There has been a call made to Fred Peters and to Bob Milano, who we bought the boat from, by Capt. John. As far as I know, they have not replied to John with an answer as to where it may be punched into the hull. It was mentioned that it could be in the engine room, if so any idea where to start looking. Unfortunately, batteries and power has been shut off for the season, so I'll be looking by flashlight. Can you help?
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
larryrutter
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by larryrutter »

Tom,

I just saw your post.

Let me check with the guys and figure that out for you.

Larry
larryrutter
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by larryrutter »

Tom,

You might already have the answer, but <> responded as follows:

"On the 40s they were not inscribed on the hull but rather a plate was supposed to have been adhered to the hull. Two things could have happened. Either the hull id plate was not put on by Peter Mackenzie and its in his desk, or in the Albin folder, or it fell off at some point."

"However I told John to tell Tom that Fred is in Amsterdam for his Stepmothers funeral and would not be back until this coming week."

Let me know if you still don't have the HIN and I'll follow up - send me an email directly at larryrutter@mac.com as I don't always
check forums on a daily basis.

Larry
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Two things could have happened. Either the hull id plate was not put on by Peter Mackenzie and its in his desk, or in the Albin folder, or it fell off at some point."
How can this happen? I thought you couldn't sell a boat without it? Although HINs do not have to be inscribed, according to the regulations:
[USCG–2003–14272, 69 FR 33860, June 17, 2004]

§ 181.29 Hull identification number display.
Two identical hull identification numbers are required to be displayed on each boat hull.

(a) The primary hull identification number must be affixed—

(1) On boats with transoms, to the starboard outboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

(2) On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to use the transom, to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft, within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of the hull side, gunwale or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

(3) On catamarans and pontoon boats which have readily replaceable hulls, to the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.

(4) If the hull identification number would not be visible, because of rails, fittings, or other accessories, the number must be affixed as near as possible to the location specified in paragraph (a) of this section.

(b) The duplicate hull identification number must be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware.

(c) Each hull identification number must be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded, or otherwise permanently affixed to the boat so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the number is on a separate plate, the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area. A hull identification number must not be attached to parts of the boat that are removable.

(d) The characters of each hull identification number must be no less than one-fourth of an inch high.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I thought you couldn't sell a boat without it?
I answered my own question. You can purchase without the HIN stamped on the hull. But, if it's not there, it should be hidden somewhere in the interior spaces.
Personally I wouldn't purchase a boat without it somewhere on the boat. But, that's just me.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jillsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jillsusan »

Hi Larry

Best of luck to you.

Is the 46 the only one built from the current mfg? Because I have not heard or seen any others. That 46 was built overseas? Correct? And it has been around for how long? Will you be showing any product at the Javits center in NY? It would seem to me that if you wanted to show the brand is still alive- that would be the place to be. Personally I would eb nervous buying a new Albin at this point because the company has changed hands how many times in the last 2 years. So warrantee issues would make me very nervous as it is very sketchy with regard to who is actually doing any mfg???

Just looking to see where the actual brand stands now as it is a bit confusing. I love my 28 and have done several modifications to her. So I like to keep up with the brand and what is going on with it.

Thanks
Steve
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

jcollins wrote:
I thought you couldn't sell a boat without it?
I answered my own question. You can purchase without the HIN stamped on the hull. But, if it's not there, it should be hidden somewhere in the interior spaces.
Personally I wouldn't purchase a boat without it somewhere on the boat. But, that's just me.
Winter time when we first looked at the boat...NEVER did my wife and I even think that there wasn't a HIN somewhere on the boat. It wasn't until the bank required a snapshot of the number, for refinancing, did I start thinking "the amount of times I've wash that boat, I don't remember ever seeing the number anywhere"!. I find it hard to believe that nothing was required (snapshot, pencil rubbing) to get the CG #, which we had nothing to do with, just signed the paperwork. It could be "it's all in who you know". But any way, I'm suppose to be getting a plate with the number on it so I can attach it to the boat.
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Tom, I have hull #007 and the surveyor pointed out that ours was not visible. It turned out that it was in the correct spot on the starboard transom and it was covered when it was awlgriped. The dealer was able to locate it and used an awl to retrace the numbers which matched the certificate of origin etc. Now it is clearly visible, so look real hard and feel and rub that area, it may be traceable. We had discussed the options and a plate that is not easily detachable is an option that is acceptable too. Before they found it we were projecting riveting a brass plate on in that position. Our surveyor said that there is usually a spot on the hull internally where the number exists too, but no one seems to know where that spot is??
Honestly Tom it is a very fixable thing, I think the dealer just wanted you and the boat out of there quickly!! If you run into any more issues with this I would introduce you to the guy who surveyed for us , he is very knowledgeable and connected on these subjects, also a good guy.
Craig
Jersey Albin
NS 40 Hull 007
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Thanks Craig. We have #001 and I think they forgot to put it on!! We looked and ran our fingers in the area where it should be and we didn't feel or see a thing. When we make another trip to the boat (1 1/2 hours away) we'll take another look. Still hoping to get an answer from Larry or Captain John. We'll see. Thanks again.
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

By the way Tom I have additional drawings and build plans that should be useful to you, they were in the manual which was on the boat. I found some differences on my boat, like the generator pulls off the port tank, while the drawings show starboard. It will show you where the cooling system water should have been run and might help solve this strange thing about the raw water intake and heat exchanger. There is no way you have one heat exchanger according to these plans. I will copy these too and get them to you in a week or two, I think I still have your address, if not I will let you know.
Craig
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I noticed my 2004 35 TE has a number embossed in the hull liner port forward. It is behind the cushions surrounding the forward berth. You might look there.
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Now that's an interesting spot to put the number. It is worth a look the next time we're at the boat. Thanks. Last word is that a new plate was being made for our boat.Still can't believe one is not embossed in the hull some where.
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
larryrutter
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by larryrutter »

Steve,

You're not alone in not understanding the Albin history, many folks have been confused by
the various iterations, but the Albin Company never did change hands, what changed were
the locations where the molds were sent. Fred has been the owner throughout.

We won't be showing in NY, but do plan to show the 46 at the Miami show (which was the reason for
my taking her down there). Probably Palm Beach too.

There have been a couple of other boats built besides the 46 TE. There's a 2008 40' NSC and
a 2007 45' CB - both are in Cos Cob, CT.

The 46TE was built in Taiwan, and they did just an outstanding job there, and we will continue to build
the 42' thru 85' models there and in China. The 26' thru 36' will be built by C&C Composites in Bristol RI.

I have a complete written history of Albin and glad to post here if there is interest, or let me know
directly and I'll PM to anyone interested.

Larry
==========================================
Tom,

Did you get your plate yet?

Larry
==========================================

Return to “General Discussion”