• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

You all know the story...

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You all know the story...

Post by RicM »

It is with great trepidation that I post about my yearning for, yes, a bigger Albin. Our 2003 28TE, Time after Time has been a great boat for Karen & I but now that her store is gone and I have increasing freedom in my business, we want to spend more time on the water. Last summer was great, anchoring out with friends, fishing and hanging out at Block Island, and the ever present lure of warmer climates calls out this time of year. I have started to have serious thoughts about a 35 Command Bridge. We would really like to have enough room so that one of us can take a nap while the other, well, does anything else. Something that I can still fish single handed, but with room to entertain. You all know the story. So, if you or someone you know is looking for a great, really nicely equipped 28TE, I've got one. If anyone has a really nice 35 CB they want to get rid of, let's talk.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: You all know the story...

Post by Pitou »

The days of the dinette goes up ... the dinette goes down will be left in your trailing wake and the comforts of a larger vessel are on your horizon.

All our best,
Kevin & Joanie
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Ahhh the biggaboat disease!! :lol:
Happy hunting.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

Are you sure the 35 will be big enough :shock: No sense wishing you had a 40,or 42, or a....in a a year or two :lol: Hope you find what you're looking for :D
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Ric,
Good luck on your search. The 35CB was my next choice until I saw the 35TE.
Does this mean your giving up the greek fishermans hat and clay pipe for an ascot and captains cap?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Ah, the 32+2/35 Command Bridge. Same cabin either way. One of the few boats that has a water view from the fwd berth.

Another nice addition is the 'snooze' berth on the bridge. Simply build a filler cushion.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

John,

Thurston Howell...I don't know, maybe there is some resemblance there, but I'm thinking more like this guy:
rodney boat.jpg
I can vision him with the bigger boat - Here's a scene from next years rendezvous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGD-tUsySPs

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

We can all dream of going bigger check this out

http://www.superyachts.com/largest-yachts
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

In the lauderdale airport on the way back from Nassua. Hold the presses! Learned to sail a Hobie Cat at the resort. LOVED it. Could I become a rag bagger?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jillsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jillsusan »

Hi-- best of luck to you-- the 35 te is the boat to buy! The command bridge has some issues with bow steering.

To be honest -I love the set up of the command bridge myself-- but when I heard about the handling issues- i was a bit turned off. I thought the hull was the same as the te- but it is not.

Steve
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The 32 CB had bow steer problems in following sea. The hull was extended to the 32+2 CB to deal with the issue by extending the hull to enclose the area under the swim platform. It has been reported to be successful. The transom was then moved aft, enlarging the cockpit, to create the 35CB. The 35 CB is considered to be good handling single engine/keel type hull. These style hulls will definitely handle differently than what you may be used to if you run an outboard/deepvee in a following sea.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jointventure
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Montauk , Long Island, NY

Post by jointventure »

Ric, I posted a while back of a 35 for sale in Montauk ,it was in the water and looked to be in decent shape - the phone no. was included.
John
Joint Venture
31TE 2000
jillsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jillsusan »

Ric

What year was this improvement made. I really like the comand bridge set up. So if I move up I know what to look for.

Thanks

Steve
jruesr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Matlacha, florida

Post by jruesr »

If you are interested learning about this subject from those who have first hand knowledge may I suggest that you check two threads under CB 32-45.

History of the CB 35

Albin 32 vs the Albin 32+2

John
Passages III
Last edited by jruesr on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

John,

No one was trying to "dis" the 32. Length at the water line has a great deal to do with a number of issues in addition to handling in a following sea. The height, shape of the hull, center of gravity and many other factors go together to determine how a boat handles. The skill of the captain is the frosting on that cake. The major issue however is hull speed. This is the speed beyond which the boat must plane or suck diesel. Adding 2 feet to the 32 added both improved handling and increased hull speed, both an important issue in a boat that many would consider somewhat underpowered. Now before you say "WHAT?" remember that almost all boats today of 32-35 feet are probably carrying 500-1000 ponies to sea. All that power and weight in the rear makes for a very different handling boat. The 32 with it's center of gravity so much further forward will make for a boat that would feel very dangerous to a captain experienced with 32" center consoles with triple outboards hanging off the back. The one place that's going to be REALLY different is falling down the front of a big wave. With the weight forward, and a lower hull speed (you really should not be on plane in a 7 foot following sea) the Albin 32 is going to feel like the bow is going in and stern is coming around on you. The addition of the 2 feet lengthens the water line in relation to the beam, increases the hull speed, and make the boat want to go forward more than sideways, the ultimate goal in this situation.

Also if you are a fisherman, like me, thats about 30% more cockpit, which is where all the fun happens (at least during the daylight hours!) :wink: .
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “General Discussion”