• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tranmission Repair Recommendations Edgewater/Annapolis

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

albinbuster
Deckhand
Deckhand

Tranmission Repair Recommendations Edgewater/Annapolis

Post by albinbuster »

Hi AOG,

Doro Jo's (1998 28TE ZF V-drive)transmission will not engage forward gear. Boat will go directly astern when started. My cables had tightened up, and I knew they needed replaced, but otherwise fluid levels normal etc. When bringing boat in after unlucky fishing trip last week, I lost forward just as I was bringing in the slip. Had to make a circle in reverse, kill the engine and make grap for the dock lines.

Anyway, mech came out and replaced the cables, which we were already planning to do. The linkage and shifting action is all fine. Problem in the transmission. When going into forward, the engine chokes and sputters, but gear won't engage. Don't really think I've hit anything, but am told I should notify insurance? Looks like shaft has to come out, and uncertain if engine has to come off the mounts or not ?

Does anyone have a recommendation for who should do this work in greater Annapolis area? Sound like anything anyone has experienced? What is the worst case scenario expense.....rebuilt or new trans and all labor; how much?

Many Thanks,
Craig
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Tranmission Repair Recommendations Edgewater/Annapolis

Post by RobS »

No reason not to make an insurance claim, you have nothing to lose there. Let THEM make the decision if it's not a covered repair.

New tranny is about $2,600. You should do dampener/coupler and tranny cooler as well. Parts around $3,000, total job in area of $5,000. Engine will need to be lifted. Good time to do shaft seal and engine mounts if needed too. There's always a chance tranny can be rebuilt...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
albinbuster
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by albinbuster »

Thanks! Hauling on Thursday. Will see what it looks like. Appreciate knowing what else to have done while we're at it.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The rudder shoe will need to come off to pull the rudder to the side to allow the shaft to slide out. It's also a good time to check/replace the shaft cutlass bearing and the rudder shoe cutlass bearing. The shaft bearing is pressed into this housing at the back side of the skeg keel http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/Prod ... _page.html
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

American Marine Transmissions has been in Edgewater for decades. I have talked to Dave(?) at the boat shows a few times and he seems knowledgable and reasonable. I have never needed them to do any work for me so have no actual work experience. At least the travel time will be low! Their number is 410 956 2100.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I had a transmission seal leak earlier this year. The engine had to be pulled to fix it. The total bill was around $3,000. That included hauling, yard storage, crane, mechanic's time and parts. The work was done by Dockcall Inc. (Andy Hoyt) who I have been using for all my engine work for the past two seasons. Very satisfied with the work and the responsiveness. His website is dockcall.com where you can find contact information.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
albinbuster
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by albinbuster »

Thx Lou and Rob,
Looks like I've got a good list of preventative maintenance to add to trans repair

I've got bayshore marine lined up to do work because Myacht who has been working with me recommends. But I,m in market for a steady engine tech, so will try dock call?

Hauled boat yesterday and there was no damage to prop or otherwise, so no claim.

Will let all no what the problem ends up being.

Thanks again,
Craig
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

I have used Bayshore on a number of occasions for engine (Yanmar) not transmission (no problems yet) and have always found them to be knowledable and capable.
Don
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

albinbuster wrote:...Will let all no what the problem ends up being.
Thanks again,
Craig
What's the outcome?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

albinbuster
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by albinbuster »

Thanks to Rob and all,

Boat is back in the water and running better than before, possibly to replacing the bearings as suggested, and the mechs said is seemed slightly misaligned. I had a lot of vibration prior to this job and now it is gone.

The transmission clutches were fried, but I don't have a good reason why. It was rebuilt.

Total cost was $5600 when all said and done. Seemed on the high side, but there was some travel, and the job was done well.

Hope that's the last of the big repairs for me for awhile. Hope everyone's season is off to a good start.

Craig
lawrento
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

Post by lawrento »

albinbuster wrote:Thanks to Rob and all,

Boat is back in the water and running better than before, possibly to replacing the bearings as suggested, and the mechs said is seemed slightly misaligned. I had a lot of vibration prior to this job and now it is gone.

The transmission clutches were fried, but I don't have a good reason why. It was rebuilt.

Total cost was $5600 when all said and done. Seemed on the high side, but there was some travel, and the job was done well.

Hope that's the last of the big repairs for me for awhile. Hope everyone's season is off to a good start.

Craig
Hello Albinbuster,
Wish to know ' lots of vibration ' occurs at what Engine RPM and Is IT random ?
' Transmission clutches were fried ' ... Can You see IT, feel IT or smell a burning Odour before stripping out the Transmission ??
My Boat may be having the same Issue ...
Cheers and Thanks,
Lawrento
Best Bet 3
Singapore
RSYC Marina.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”