• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Control in a seaway

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

Control in a seaway

Post by tranmkp »

Just curious as to some of the techniques you all use in some heavy seas - I come from a sailboat background and not very much of that is applicable to trawler technique. I am really shocked as to how power boats roll in a seaway. I have never been in a position to run before weather or deploy a drogue. What I have learned so far is:

Avoid beam seas if possible, really. In some beam seas the roll will be so strong that the aft part of the hull will slam with great force.
Slow down, but not too slow but not too fast.
Albin 27 really cuts thru water - but will bury its bow if going too fast upwind.
Downwind in swells, steering is useless.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Control in a seaway

Post by Panhdjoe »

How big a sea are you talking about? We got into 5-6 foot seas with a hard chop in the Cape Fear river (North Carolina) and our 27 Family cruiser handled it no problem. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “General Discussion”