• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dinghy talk

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Al O Fish Us
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda, Florida

Re: Dinghy talk

Post by Al O Fish Us »

We purchased an Albin 28 Newport last spring and ordered an AB Superlight 9.5. In June. My friends suggested going with a two stroke for weight and the oil
issue. We purchased a Yamaha 15 and will leave on transom of dingy(bolted). We will then tip up on transom with brackets when underway. Sorry for delay in responding. Getting ready for our return to the Sunshine State. There are still new Yamaha 2 Strokes out there if you search. Mine was built in May of 09.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Be careful not to tip the dinghy too far (past 90d) allowing the lower unit (water pump) to be above the motor. Some motors will leak water from the pump up into the cylinders.
For a stable alternative to inflateables look at Livingston Boats.
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

Last year we bought a 10' PortaBote (folding dinghy) which travels on the top of our 31TE very nicely. It weighs I think about 60 pounds, folds to about four inches thick, takes about ten minutes to set up on the foredeck, looks like an origami, and is very seaworthy--and floats if filled with water. We drive it with a Torqeedo (German made) electric motor which weighs 29 pounds, comes apart into three parts, and I can handle it myself. We can get up to 4.5 mph with two of us in it, which is plenty fast, we figure, since we cruise at 20-24 in our TE and therefore get plenty of "go-fast". We can plug in and charge the battery overnight if needed, but it gives us four or five hours (depending on speed and load) in any event. And we therefore carry no gasoline, a biggy for us. This solution works well for us, but I'm sure wouldn't please everyone. It lacks the cool factor, and often elicits wisecracks as we motor silently through an anchorage. :D :D :lol:

Kathy
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Portaboat row very easily. I have a friend who had one for that reason.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

KathyN wrote:It lacks the cool factor, and often elicits wisecracks as we motor silently through an anchorage. :D :D :lol:

Kathy
Sounds like a great stealth boat! That's cool to me. Maybe you need to paint it in camo colors! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

Heh, heh, heh......I believe it actually comes in that color choice!! :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”