• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 315 Engine Alarm - Low level coolant

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

lawrento
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

Yanmar 315 Engine Alarm - Low level coolant

Post by lawrento »

Hello Albineers,
Just back from a long range trip running up almost 300 Nm .
Lucky for me, the Low Level Coolant engine alarm sounded while I was 4Nm away from my marina.
Added coolant to engine and expansion tank.... conmplete the journey at low rev.
Next day while engine is cold, check again coolant level.... no significant Loss of coolant in engine and expansion tank. Check other areas for leaks ... no drips.
Switch ON engine ... Alarm sounded again.
What goes Wrong ?? where is the low level coolant sensor location ?
Also did a check on my control panel alarm wire connection ... no loose joint.
My Yanmar engine model, 6LPTA-STP 315Hp.
Whats your recommendation ?
Thanks n Cheers
Lawrento
Albin 28
RSYC
Singapore.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Yanmar 315 Engine Alarm - Low level coolant

Post by johnmurray »

I have the same engine and I had a somewhat similar experience. Two years ago I was running the engine at high revs and the low coolant level alarm sounded. I stopped the engine and checked the coolant level, and it was down but still showing in the reservoir tank. There was no sign of any leakage. I added some coolant, carried on a more mderate revs and it has never happened again, not even at WOT.
My mechanic said it was normal to lose a bit of coolant due to evaporation, but he checked my cooling system anyway and found it operating properly with no leaks.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada

Return to “Albin Maintenance”