• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dinghy talk

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Dinghy talk

Post by jleonard »

OK. we decided to pull the trigger on a more serious dinghy for when we travel...starting next year sometime.
We bought an Achilles 10-4 double hulled RIB. Can take a 20 hp max.
Now...all the 15s I'm looking at and it really needs a 15 to giddyup, weigh the same as the 20 hp.
So the question...should I get a 15 or a 20?
15 would do us great, should get 4 fat arses on plane judging by another at our marina who has a similar dink with a 15.
However......20 will give me bragging rights hands down.

So...opinions?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dinghy talk

Post by RicM »

Sounds to me like you want the 20. You want someone to tell you should get the 20, so I'll do it. Get the 20.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My dive buddy has a 12' Zodiac, RIB. He's got a 30 on it. We've loaded it with 6 tanks, the 2 of us and more dive gear than 2 people could possible use in a day. I guess that's comparable weight to what you plan to transport with it. :wink:

We mainly used it to run from Orient Pt to Plum Island, and the Gull Islands out at the Race. So we were in some wind and current. It took a bit of management with weight distribution to get her on plane without too much trouble but she did move along nicely. Reel tough to get her on plane when she was completely swamped in the Gut and water was running out over the transom. :shock:

With just one guy and no gear, it flies, literally!

I'd certainly go with the 20, you'll need it when the fat arses are aboard....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The number one to achieve planing is a 10 ft. plus rib / you hit that mark. Not sure how fat the arses are, but a guy at our marina is pretty big and round and so is his admiral and their 10 ft. plus inches Achilles with a 15 screams with just him aboard and gets up and goes pretty fine with the 2 of them aboard. If you're buying new and all from the same dealer ... sea trial, but if the weight is the same get yur self the 20! :mrgreen:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

What Ric said!

:-)

Seriously though, given the same weight will you ever, with the 20 on the transom, say to yourself: "Wow. Really wish I just had a fifteen." ??

I'm thinking no.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Well I did a few tests this weekend and my 8 gets this boat on plane very easily. We also checked out another guys Merc 15 and the wife cannot tilt the engine. Since she does the doggy beach runs that's not going to work.
So it looks like a 9.9 is what we will get since they are much lighterand easier to tilt, etc.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

The new four stroke engines are so much heavier than the older two stroke engines, is there any chance to buy a good used two stroke in the 20 hp range? I recently went to great lengths to save my older two stroke after buying a new four stroke only to see how heavy the new model was plus you really have to watch how you rest the engine because of the oil in the crankcase. Just a thought. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Denis,good thought and I have been investigating. I check Craig's list everyday and nothing but junk there so far.
I did hear at our marina that 2 cycle Mariners are still sold in Canada, and that our marina, who is a Merc dealer, could get them. I will be checking on this friday.
I am also looking for a leftover Yamaha as they sold 2 cycles in the US up to last year.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Al O Fish Us
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda, Florida

Post by Al O Fish Us »

Someone was looking for a two stroke. I purchased a new 15 Yamaha from Hallberg Marine in Wyoming Minnesota @ end of May. They also had some 9.9's. We will tip up dingy on swim platform of our 28TE with motor on dingy. Our friends are already doing this on their 32-2's
Finally found 9.5 AB alumina superlight ater checking all over the US.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Al O Fish Us wrote:...We will tip up dingy on swim platform of our 28TE with motor on dingy. Our friends are already doing this on their 32-2's....
Not understanding what you mean here. Please elaborate. Thanks
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:
Al O Fish Us wrote:...We will tip up dingy on swim platform of our 28TE with motor on dingy. Our friends are already doing this on their 32-2's....
Not understanding what you mean here. Please elaborate. Thanks
I'm assuming they're leaving the motor on the transom of the dingy and tilting it up on the platform. As long as this was done to the correct side you wouldn't have an issue with the crankcase oil.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

This story has a good ending.
I just got home from buying a 2009 Yamaha 15 from a guy in Essex, Ct. He bought it in March has maybe 5 hours on it, and is pristine.
Paid $1800 for it.
And at only 79 # it's not too bad to lift when needed.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
MeyrickP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stamford CT

Post by MeyrickP »

Anybody got good ideas for carrying a dinghy on an Albin 28TE? Is the cabin top workable? is a 2HP outboard satisfactory? I don't want something heavy as I really cant lift this things with confidence.
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Here's a link (I think!) to previous discussions about dinghies. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3633
We stenciled our boat's name and hailing port on the bottom of our dinghy as suggested so we can stow it on the swim platform and not get stopped by the Coast Guard. We use the cabin top for our kayaks--it's great! Getting a dinghy up there might be more difficult, depending on how much it weighs. As for the outboard, others will probably be better at advising you, but I would think the size of the outboard depends on the size and weight of the dinghy.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Meyrick,
I have the 8'9" Mercury 270 hypalon inflatable with the air deck floor. I use a 2hp Honda BF2D air-cooled. It's a little noisy, but only 30 pounds.
I carry the boat in two ways:
If it is just my wife and I headed for Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, the inflatable (fully inflated) rides nicely with the bow on the engine box and transom sitting on top of the Albin transom. The little Honda justs lays down on the floor behind the helm seat.
Or if we are traveling with more guests, the inflatable rides nicly right on the swim platform. I run two lines (cris-cross) from the slotted areas on the platform over the top of the inflatable, and tie to the toe rails on either side. I also use those lines to lift the inflatable into position. The transom of the inflatalbe sits right in the transom door area of the Albin.

To attach/detach the Honda, I lift the aft end of the inflatable (both sponsons) onto the swim platform. The transom of the inflatalbe is therefore right near my knees, and I raise/lower the 30 lb Honda into place and tighten onto the transom. Drop the aft end back into the water, and you're ready to go.
Works really well. Carries 4 people at a time.
The little Honda has proven to be everything we need. Light, dependable, barely uses fuel. It moves us along at 2-5 knots. (Will not plane with one person)
Here's a link for the Honda: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewhondabf2d.html
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “General Discussion”