• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Old signal flares

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Old signal flares

Post by mudskipper »

My new boat, which is old Joe's old boat came with a whole collection of flares that were in the compartment with the guzzler hand pump, that has a 12 hose, that disappears under some stuff in the back of the boat. Both are useless. Does any one know the way to ecologically dispose of them? But seriously folks! Olin's web site tap dances around about your local fireman or C. G. Aux wanting them, but it ain't so. Joe figured out how to get rid of them. He sold the boat and left them on board. I think the people who sell 'em should take 'em back. West marine etc. ?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Old signal flares

Post by DougSea »

First of all, the Guzzler pump is VERY important! It gives you something to do when the boat is sinking! ;)

How many flares do you have? I keep the old ones on board. I always have the 3 "current" ones to comply with USCG regs but I figure if I ever really need them 3 ain't gonna do it! As long as they've been properly stored they should last for years.

I have had what I call "practice sessions" at home where I've burned a few flares. I figured it was good practice and during daylight and far from the coast I didn't need to worry about any false alarms. Orion agrees with me: http://www.orionsignals.com/Marine/Qand ... ement.html

Have you contacted your local fire department about safe disposal?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

A couple of ideas ... I contacted my local Coast Guard Station and asked about broadcasting a Securite message for training purposes and got the okay. It goes like this ; Securite - securite, securite this is the vessel PITOU conducting flair training exercises at Lat / Lon 42 -xx-xx N 70 - xx - xx in Ipswich Bay any vessel in the area be aware of this exercise and this is not an emergency. PITOU standing by on 16. I've done it a couple of times without incident.

For the pyros out there ... I've been known to touch off a couple of brush piles after soaking with kero. :shock:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I bought a little yellow tool box and keep all my old ones as well. I figure that I have nothing to lose and everything to gain if I ever truly need them. I guess there will come a time when I have too many to haul around and I'll just take them home and light them off in the back yard.....safely of course.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Ditto what chief said
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I gave all my old ones to my sone. I just gave him some more donated from one of my dock neighbors.
He has a cabin in upstate NY and he uses them for _______ :lol:
(I think he lights up the beaver hut in his pond)
But they are out of my hands.

We sponsored a rendezvous a couple of years ago and had the local CG auxilliary there and they put on a "practice" session to use up old donated flares.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

The chandlery at my home marina has a barrel where you can just toss the expired ones. Who knows what they do with 'em, but I got rid of three from 1995 this season. I figured at this late date they might even be unstable or something.

Last spring a member of our Power Squadron reported a USCG inspector strongly recommended not carrying any expired flares at all because of the possibility they might be "confused" with unexpired ones. Bureaucracy is a truly wonderful thing. Recently I read somewhere that tests have shown one flare in five is a dud anyway, whether new or old. I think this means I need to carry at least 4 flares, not 3.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “General Discussion”