• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

reverse cycle ac

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

easyg

reverse cycle ac

Post by easyg »

Hi All. I am considering the purchase of a 36' sundeck trawler that does not have any ac/heat . I have researched the costs of units and figure it's going to run about $4500 to buy and install a 16000/18000 btu reverse cycle unit with three discharge ports (main salon, aft cabin, and forward galley/berthing area). My questions to the group... I plan on living aboard in the mid chesapeake area bay for the winter(freezing temps) . I will also be in Florida for some of the hot months (95+ and humidity 90%) eventually. Is one unit sufficient to keep me comfortable, (inside tem. range of 68 in winter, 80 in summer)? I have had some people tell me I need 2 or 3 units. Also regarding the cold months...once the outside water temps drop below 37F, the units can not be run (?), in which case I will need alternative heating solutions. Any insight, suggestions? Thanks
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: reverse cycle ac

Post by zinbaad »

I installed a 12,000 btu Mermaid ac/reverse cycle unit aboard. Reasonably cools off forward berth & galley but does little to cool pilot house with 6' duct. Reverse cycle heats berth ok with some in pilot house also. The unit I chose was not the the reverse cycle unit ( but that is what he installed) I wanted unit with Heating element installed so water temp would not be issue. For heat in the colder months I use a small elec heat unit ( I think 1500 2500 watts?) which works fine in berth area & pilot house, inexpensive, guaranteed heat without stressing the a/c.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “General Discussion”