• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Long Island Based Diesel Mechanic

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Long Island Based Diesel Mechanic

Post by RobS »

Superior Specialized Services, a.k.a. Superior Diesel
10 Matinecock Avenue
Port Washington, NY 11050
(516) 883-2404

FYI: I have heard the work product is not the problem, if he shows and/or finishes the job. I know two fellow AOG members who have had ill dealings with the owner, Rob at Superior.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Long Island Based Diesel Mechanic

Post by zinbaad »

Perhaps the $16G cash bounced on him. After 5 no show appointments to correct air conditioner (installed one month prior) I guess I am supposed to fix it myself. Oh man please dont get me started with him,,,,,,,,GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

So strange that you guys started this thread because I was wondering what his deal is. Something doesn't seem right. If I had to take an educated guess I would say that he has something bad going on in his personal life. Perhaps he is having marital problems? I don't think it's drugs or alcohol. Something is has changed with him causing him to stop answering his cell phone, stop returning his voice mail messages and stop keeping his promises of when he will show up. Whatever it is I hope he gets help. There are not many quality diesel mechanics on the island who are mobile.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Please dont get me wrong, he sounds like the nicest guy in the world, anxious for work orders, promises the world with a handshake & a smile. I would much rather deal with some one who keeps his word, shows up when he says he will (or at least call & reschedule) supplies the items agreed upon, & completes a job in a professional manner. Our time on the water is so limited, As seaslug suggests there seems to be something going on with him, but that seems to be going on for some years now. Yes, people make mistakes but it is the ones who come through doing the right thing that I would return to. Having to pay out several hundred dollars to correct a "Professional" mistakes are unacceptable & I do have the bills to prove it (unfortunately)
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Homeinstead28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Homeinstead28 »

My Bad Experience....I got a ROYAL RUNAROUND from Rob Hyers (Ayers?) from Superior Specialized Services. He promised me a water pump...said he had it. He strung me out for 4 days...I even took a day off from work because he promised I would have it. His cell phone voice mail box is ALWAYS full and he doesn't return calls. His trick is to say "I'll call you back in 30 minutes" and then never call back. He returned my call by accident (he didn't recognize my home number on the caller id). He told me I could pick up the pump at Willis Marina, where he keeps his boat. Willis Marina is an hours drive from my home. I confirmed with Rob that the part would be in his truck and for me to leave a check. I drove the hour...his truck was not there...... The dock boy pointed to his personal car and said that he must be out on his boat. I used the dock boy's phone to call him (caller id)....he answered. He said "YEAH, I AM HERE...I AM ON THE WATER, LET ME CALL YOU BACK IN ONE MINUTE". Guess what? Rob from Superior NEVER CALLED BACK AND NEVER SHOWED UP. I waited another 45 minutes, tried to call him a few times, then limped home frustrated and without the water pump.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Same ole story , just be grateful you did not hand over hard earned csah & then the runaround. After he installed th e"Good Windless" along with 300 ft of goods "Premium Line (PREMIUM PRICE) I orderd a new Delta plow. Low & behold on my second drop of anchor (& I did not tie off, shame on me) reeled out and disapeared into the deep. After calling Robs to ask why he never "Tied off" he replied "We never tie off because it would rip out the pulpit.. But I'll send a check for 1/2 the amount of line/anchor.. Still waiting almost 2 years later. You just might find him selling misc boat parts on Craigslist... In April caught him selling set of props I needed as spares for $500.. he called back & said oh yea, I owe you $250 so I'll give you both props for the $250 I owe, and I will deliver them tomorrow as I will be in your marina..... you know the deal......Yes, guys make mistakes but to continue & throw salt on wounds is just plain stupid
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

Crazy thing is that when he is on his game he can be very good at what he does and has a reputation for doing fine diagnostic work when you have control of his time and his undivided attention. I'm told that he is our area's "local Cummins Factory Rep". Anyone know if that is true? If so, are there any other local factory reps from Cummins or is he the only one? If not, then I wonder if Cummins is aware of the situation. Maybe they can contact him and ask him nicely as a representative of their company to uphold their reputation for being reliable, trustworthy and full of integrity.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

2 Seasons ago my friend repowered his 44' Henriques with Cummins. He used Atlantic in the Rockaways - the dealer at the end of this directory. He was happy with the work and the service
http://www.cmdmarine.com/directory/newyork.html
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

We have used Kevin P @ Knutson's in Huntington and been pleased with how detailed he is in doing his research. We've also used the Cummins factory from the boroughs and they sent a truck mechanic all the way to the east end of LI - didn't know our 330 well enough! There is a fellow at Bowicks or next door in 3 mile Harbor with a good Cummins reputation also. Has anyone had experience with John Moran in the Mt Sinai NY area?
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

While in Cos Cob I dealt with Cummins Power System out of Rocky Hill, CT. Not sure how far that is from the Island but it seems to me that Joe Nelson, the man in charge, said his mechanic had to come from Long Island to check out our boat. They bent over backwards to get me going in early May for our trip up the Hudson. I would highly recommend them. I have a phone # if anyone is interested along with an email address.
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

This forum is all about sharing information. Many times we are all searching for the same thing. A good mechanic, detailer, store, yard, marina, restaurants, etc.
Post your GOOD experiences here. The result will appear in the search index and help others find exactly what they are looking for. Be sure include contact information and website if available.

Include your boating area in the subject line to help others find information for their own city or state. Something like Chesapeake: or Seattle:

Please do not post BAD reviews here. Although we do want to hear reviews of that sort, they should be posted in the General Discussion forum.
<moved by the moderator>
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

Seaslug44 wrote:Crazy thing is that when he is on his game he can be very good at what he does and has a reputation for doing fine diagnostic work when you have control of his time and his undivided attention. I'm told that he is our area's "local Cummins Factory Rep". Anyone know if that is true? If so, are there any other local factory reps from Cummins or is he the only one? If not, then I wonder if Cummins is aware of the situation. Maybe they can contact him and ask him nicely as a representative of their company to uphold their reputation for being reliable, trustworthy and full of integrity.
Bill Stevens of Wesco Marine in Hampton Bays is a Cummins rep and an EXCELLENT mechanic and diagnostic guy. Only problem is if you live far from there, you pay beaucoup bucks for their round trip travel time. Altho, sometimes it's worth it.
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

I don't know whether you posted this important note on the Accolades, Reviews, etc. page of AOG Forum. There is another post about a bad experience with a trucking outfit also posted here and maybe (also) on the other part of this site.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

they call that high jacking a thread, lol
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Owner Rob from Superior reached out to me today. We had a good long chat. He has streamlined and reorganized his business and assures that he is here to provide the best service possible. He also stated he has several Albin's that he services regularly and has also complete repowers of Albins.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “General Discussion”