• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 1986 repower

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Valkyrie
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Point Judith

Albin 27 1986 repower

Post by Valkyrie »

Hello to all this my first post and it is an important one for me. I have been an Albin owner for about six years. two or more spent on the rebuild of the boat from somewhat of a neglected state. I have been running a small charter buisness with the boat "Valkyrie". The issues I have had over the last three years is that the engine has been in and out of good running state and really kept me as a personal mechanic rather than a happy owner. So the fuel pump just went on me as i was going in the water. Kind of the last straw for me and sinking money into a very tired Westerbeke W100. All of the old lines need to be replaced and the mechanical fuel pump. 1500$ with me doing all of the work. I think I am ready and deserve something nice for a repower. The biggest question is what is the best motor to repower with??? I admit that more speed is really attractive to me. If I could cruise at 12 to 14 knots i would not need anything else. Can anyone out there lead me away from major wrongs and toward the best choices for repowering an Albin 27 sportfish 1986? Boy I sure would appreciate anything that helps. :D :?: For that matter does anyone know of a nice power plant that would fit the bill?? :D :?:

Thanks Lance on the Valkyrie
If there's no wind ROW!
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Albin 27 1986 repower

Post by fairtide »

I had an '86 A27 sport cruiser with the Nissan 78 hp engine and a friend had the 27 with a Cummins 210 hp engine. His was a soft-top fishing model that there were few of, but I mention this as the boat without the engine was lighter. With the engine difference it is likely that the boats were about the same weight.
His boat was able to do the speed that you want. Mine, well, maybe if I went over a waterfall. Since it is power that determines speed, any engine that you choose (after lots of number crunching and listening to those who know more than I do) with about 200 hp should be fine. Just remember that engines should not be run at red line rpm for more than just short periods. The Yanmar warranty is specific about the time that their product can be run at red line in order to keep that warranty valid. There are commercial Yanmars and other brands that can be run continuously at rated hp, but expect those engines to be larger and heavier than "yacht" engines as well as more expensive. Manufacturers know that pleasure craft are not pushed like work boats.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

My last boat was a 1990 Albin 27 Sport Cruiser and it came with the 157 HP Isuzu engine. I think that engine size is about as large as you can reasonably put in that boat to optimize performance with a "semi-planing" hull shape. Anything larger may well be heavier and not provide much more in terms of speed. As I recall I could max out at about 14-15 MPH on a semi-plane, but I do not think the Albin 27 hull shape will enable the full plane necessary for higher speeds, regardless of the engine HP.
My experience with Isuzu engine was very good
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Valkyrie
Mate
Mate

Post by Valkyrie »

Great to get constructive responses. Thank you to all who answered. At present I have found a brand new Cummins 6BT 170 hp truck engine and I am trying to figure out if spending the $ to convert it is logical. Boy there are lots of opinions on that topic too. So I presently have a brand new 6BT 170hp 5.9 for sale. I think anyway; the advise I have heard has made me reconsider doing the conversion myself. Anyone interested??
If there's no wind ROW!
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Apparently there is more to converting a Cummins truck engine to marine use than adding the saltwater side of things to it. You certainly won't do anything to enhance your eventual resale value by using such a conversion.

I ordered my 1986 27AC with the Westerbeke W100, 100hp, engine. There is some argument which block it is based on but it is one beefy 6cyl engine which fits the 27 compartment. Magnificant engine.

I am not familiar with the 157hp Isuzu though I have a 2006 Chevy 3500 which has an Isuzu engine. The thing has been flawless in over 80,000 miles towing a heavy 5th wheel trailer.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Apparently there is more to converting a Cummins truck engine to marine use than adding the saltwater side of things to it. You certainly won't do anything to enhance your eventual resale value by using such a conversion.
I am working on marinizing a truck Cummins 6BT. I have a low mileage eninge out of an 89 pickup, and I have "accumulated" a lot of marine parts. Still need some more. I even bought a 6BT that came out of a boat that caught fire, lots of good parts on it (unfortunately they pryed against the heat exchanger and ruined it).

Personally I think it's easy to marinize one yourself. Not all that much to it really if you plan on keeping the output to around 200 hp or less. That's my plan 200-220 or so. The truck harmonic balancer will hold up fine, raw water pump replaces the power steering pump, marine exhaust manifold is a bolt on as ids the heat exchanger.

I disagree that resale will suffer. The Cummins 6B platform is likely the best on the market right now.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Valkyrie
Mate
Mate

Post by Valkyrie »

i guess I have been looking for someone to say that because the engine I found is brand new from Cummins. I would love to put it in my boat; the catch is that I am not an experienced mechanic. I am stuck on determining if there is a basic height issue. It appears by my measurements that I have about 22 inches between the hatch (modified already to get the most height) and the longitudinal stringers that the engine mounts contact. Are you going to put your 6BT into a albin 27 ? I am in Rhode Island and would be interested talking.
If there's no wind ROW!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Are you going to put your 6BT into a albin 27
No it is going into a 40 trawler and I have no height restrictions.
I have dimensions for the 6bt on my work computer. E mail me at
jleonard@usa.norgren.com
and I will send that file
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”