• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leaving Thurs.—Ft. Lauderdale to CT. Tips, recommendations?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Leaving Thurs.—Ft. Lauderdale to CT. Tips, recommendatio

Post by DougSea »

Lionel is alive and well and here at the NE Rendezvous!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

Made this trip in my 32 twice; from Stuart. Most FL inlets OK...avoid Sebastian. There's no real reason to run outside as there aren't that many slow zones like down south in FL. You might want to run outside from FT.Laud to Stuart (St.Lucie Inlet) to avoid slow zones down there. St. Lucie Inlet is OK even tho it's got a bad rep. Straight shot in and very short. If the tide is ebbing, you may have to time the waves; but it's easy. As far as the intercoastal shoaling, we had no problem. Commercial traffic uses it, and the only time we ran aground was our own fault, by not paying attention. When in doubt, slow down, and follow a bigger boat. Many markers missing in GA...pay attention; also a couple of confusing ranges. Look for the crab pot markers on either side of channel. They put them in about 4 feet; so if you stay in between you got water. Don't miss Coinjock.
The city marina in Norfolk is good; as is the same in Annapolis, if you can find a slip. Lock your boat in Annapolis...we had some uninvited visitors at 2am. Forget the NJ intercoastal. Run from Cape May to NY outside. If you are going into LI; AVOID Fire Island inlet. It is very shoaled and dangerous. Jones or Shinnecock better bets.
Took us 12 days from Stuart to LI, running about 8 hrs/day. Pick a good weather day for the Chesapeake and Capre May to NY runs. they both take 6-8 hrs and you don't want to pound for that long.It's a fun trip; and if you have the time, linger for awhile. Wish I was there!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jprohan wrote: Lock your boat in Annapolis...we had some uninvited visitors at 2am. !
Well that needs further details!
jprohan wrote: If you are going into LI; AVOID Fire Island inlet. It is very shoaled and dangerous. Jones or Shinnecock better bets.!
I guess Moriches wasn't even worth mentioning :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
tomcat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tomcat »

A trip we really want to do! What was your average speed? We'd love just to head south come October and spend the winter in the sunny south and head back in the spring. Anyone have an idea what a ball park figure would be for a trip like that?

Maybe I'm just in a dream world.
Tom Nolin
40'NSC
Bennington, Vermont
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Lock your boat in Annapolis...we had some uninvited visitors at 2am. !
Yes. Please elaborate. If you had said Baltimore I could understand, but Annapolis? Were you at the City Dock?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”