• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dinghy, Tow or Stow?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Leonardo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Location: Chesapeake Bay (Summer), Laguna Madre/Gulf of Mexico (Winter)

Dinghy, Tow or Stow?

Post by Leonardo »

I have a Fatty Knees dinghy, it's nice but heavy. I've built a mast and boom and was planning on loading it with the boom and stowing on the back deck but I'm now considering one of two other options: 1st, just tow it or 2, sell it and get a lighter (maybe aluminum) 8'er. Any ideas? How do you take yours along?
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: Dinghy, Tow or Stow?

Post by Veebyes2 »

I'm not familiar with a Fatty Knees dinghy but since it is a sailable it is safe to assume that it is a hard rather than an inflatable dinghy.

I have never owned anything but hard dinghys over the years. They last much longer, are much tougher & are easy to repair after kids bang them up on rocks

My current dinghy, 22 years & going strong, weighs about 90# & is towed 90% of the time. I need the dinghy for access to the mooring so it is in the water anyway. Towing is easy with or without the motor. The dinghy paynter is just long enough so that it cannot be snagged by the prop no matter what.

For the rare occasion when I want to carry the dinghy it is an easy matter to roll it sideways onto the swim platform & tie it off to the cleats.

If I want to run fast it is usually better to put it on the platform otherwise let it tow long.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

We've got an 04 American Sail, rowing dinghy. A great boat, but now too small for all four of us. Not totally sure what we will ultimately do for a dink, so for now it's just cleated off, standing on the swim platform.
The Lass 1563.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I rarely tow my RIB infatable. Most times it is on davits.
I don't like to keep loking back and wondering. :wink:

P6290078.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Leonardo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Leonardo »

I did consider the swim platform as a holding area. But I didn't want to cover up the boats ID since it's required to be seen while motoring.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have marquee boards on the side of the boat with the name.
There are also folks who put the boat name on the bottom of the dink then it's visable from behind. :wink:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

10' Inflatable. I don't use it much but when I do, I tow.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I just bought a small inflatable this year. I used it on a 5 day trip which just took. I was going back and forth about towing it or stowing it on the back deck. We were going through areas with allot of wind and since it was the first time for me having a dinghy I wasn't sure if the wind could pick it up and flip it. I'm glad I stowed it since we hit some rough spots. I store it on the swim step when in the slip, but can't leave there when underway as the boat is documented.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Leonardo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Leonardo »

This is why I'm asking, I'm Documented too and the rules are clear about readability of the name and hailing port, plus they can only be on the back. Where do you have your numbers mounted?
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

In my opinion, if you've got the money, a SeaWise Davit is, without a doubt, the best system; whether your dinghy is inflatable or rigid. Very popular around these parts.
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Post by yhc »

You may want to take a look at Weaver Leaver system as an option. It is very similar to SeaWise davit Mariner mentioned above.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Leonardo wrote:This is why I'm asking, I'm Documented too and the rules are clear about readability of the name and hailing port, plus they can only be on the back. Where do you have your numbers mounted?
I've been looking in to the subject of stowing a tender on the swim platform of a documented vessel. As best as I can tell after a couple of hours or so of googlling; as long as your vessel is properly marked, with the number affixed to a structural member and the name and hailing port permanently affixed to the transom, you're good in so far as the documentation rules apply. The tender stowed on the swim platform does not cause a documentation violation. The USPS has a write up to that effect, I'll post a link tomorrow after I find it again. I was not able to find any specific law that stated that obscuring the name was improper or illegal. The USPS did seem to suggest that having the vessel name on the underside could help prevent issues with law enforcement personnel.

And just to be clear - having the name on the tender does NOT substitute for having it on the transom.

The whole thing is a bit murky.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Leonardo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Leonardo »

When I looked into it (called the Documentation Office in WV) I was told that the name and hailing port must be "visible" at all times. The same goes for any numbers and use stickers you might have on your boat, say if it isn't a documented boat for example. I have a lead on an old aluminum dinghy in Baltimore that is for sale that I'm going to checkout today. I might be able to load it onto the rear deck.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

When trying to make time : Weaver snap davits on the swim platform here ..... sometimes on the tow. I did mark the underside of the "RIB" with name & hailing port in the required size lettering that goes on the transom of the boat and have never been bothered by the coasties. My Albin is documented without state registration.

A buddy did get pulled over on his documeted vessel by them a half a dozen years ago for having his "RIB" on the platform and obstructing the name & port. No ticket, just a warning. FWIW; They suggested to him to paint name & hailing port on the bottom if he were going to tilt the dink on the platform and obstruct the boats markings. He has never been bothered since. This guy travels on his boat extensively each summmer from my local area to downeast, Maine to most recently Cape Cod & the islands, Long Island Sound and up the Hudson without incident. (I wish I could take 3 months off each summer! :mrgreen: )
Willoughby Gap 042.JPG
Willoughby Gap 123.JPG
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

A 28TE in FL I looked at had this davit setup. This would be problematic to display name and hailing port.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “General Discussion”