• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Inverter Switching

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Inverter Switching

Post by johnmurray »

My boat is equipped with a XANTREX PROWATT 1750 inverter with a remote switch, and I also have a Parallax automatic transfer switch that avoids running the inverter and shore power at the same time.
My problem is that the inverter is slow to become active when I switch it on and sometimes it takes several tries to get it going, although I have never had an instance when I could never get it going at all.
I understand that I should have no AC load on when I turn on the inverter on, so I switch the main AC breaker to "off" before I turn the inverter on. I then usually experience a wait of maybe a minute or two before anything happens and then I get a "chattering" sound for few seconds (the transfer switch opening and closing?) and then a definite click and the inverter is operating properly. Then I turn on the main AC breaker and whatever breakers I need on the AC power panel. Sometimes nothing happens when I turn the inverter on and other times the chattering sound keeps going so I turn the inverter off and try again.
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Does something need to be adjusted ?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Inverter Switching

Post by jcollins »

John,
I had a Xantrex that did the same thing. The previous owner mentioned it when I bought the boat. I had to replace it due to a lightning strike, but, up until that happened it worked fine.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My xantrex 2000 switches on within about 2 seconds when I turn the power switch to "off".
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Xantrex "Pro Sine 1800" inverter here with a BlueSeas Power Switch , Shore, Ship, Inverter. Shore and ship power up to 120V instantly while the inverter takes 10 seconds or so to move the needle. Once it does, it jumps to 120. Sounds like a Xantrex pattern of "Cybil" type behavior :? . Thanks for the original post on this subject, I've always thought it was just me! I'm going with the flow on this one.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”