• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Water? weeping from keel

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Water? weeping from keel

Post by OldDemps »

Help, my 2000, 28TE has a little water? weeping from the trailing edge of the keel just above the bottom bracket. Have a look at the photo and let me know your thoughts.

Back story, I have no history on the boat since it was bank owned prior to my recently purchase, overall the boats in great shape. I had it delivered to the local (KKMI) boat yard for TLC and bottom. Noticed the weeping. The "highly regarded" yard mgr doesn't seem to alarmed, saying often the pressure change in the voids of the keels can make some weeping from trucking and in / out of the water . Personally I think the water maybe coming from the bilge above as the boat hasn't been in the water for at least a few months.

Sound familar to anyone?

Recommendations?

Thanks OldDemps
San Francisco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Water? weeping from keel

Post by Tuxedo »

I think your yard manager is right. The skeg is solid glass there, so there's no worry about water in the core. Could be the skeg didn't some out of the mold clean and Albin fared it with some putty.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Water? weeping from keel

Post by jleonard »

Well as long as the boat NEVER sees a freeze it might be ok. However, water should not be there. You should grind out the skin and look inside.
Ignoring water intrusion never gets better, only worse.
Just my opinion from being a boat owner for 20 + years.
Cheers.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”