• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking at 40 foot trawler

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking at 40 foot trawler

Post by mudskipper »

I am looking at a used 40 foot trawler. It does have teak decks. The owner has kept the boat in outstanding condition. I am worried about the teak deck issue, also wondering if the 1988 boat would have been cored hull and or topsides? I have an excellent surveyor, but I have not gone so far as to make an offer yet. I was hoping to get an education from your web site. There is not much specific information on this aft cabin 40 trawler. He is asking 119,000 and the boat has been on the market for over a year. Nice old Swedish fellow. He kept everything below decks in wonderful shape ( cats ass condition). I am a crane operator and I can see the signs of good care. At this age will I be selling my soul to west marine in new parts? What will the tanks be made of. I looked at many Grand Banks and Marine Traders and the iron tanks were a scary issue for me. I apreciate any input you folks can give me . Mudskipper
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking at 40 foot trawler

Post by mudskipper »

Me again This boat is a sundeck model. What about seakeeping qualities?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Looking at 40 foot trawler

Post by jleonard »

I have a 40 trunk cabin. The hulls are not cored. The decks are sandwich construction....fiberglass over plywood. The decks are screwed into that.
My decks are in good shape. I re-caulked a big area last summer as preventive maintenance. Not as bad a job as I thought. You can read and see some pics in the trawler section here.
I don't know what you mean about selling your soul to West Marine. The definition of boat is "Break Out Another Thousand" so spread your money around. LOL
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “General Discussion”