• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmission Leak

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Transmission Leak

Post by loubennett »

Quest has developed a leak in rear seal in the transmission. The boat has been hauled and my mechanic will be repairing it this week. He says he will have to pull the engine to get to it making this an expensive repair. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and what they determined as the cause. Quest has 1725 hours on her but that seems early for this failure. Last year I had a collision with a log that damaged the prop and bent the rudder. I am wondering if this is the result of that collision. I checked the shaft and it seemed to be true but I didn't remove it. What do you think? Also I want to make sure everything is checked and refurbished that is more easily done while the engine is out. Suggestions? I trust my mechanic but it never hurts to get other inputs.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Transmission Leak

Post by RobS »

Did you make an insurance claim when you struck the log? If so, put them on notice of this right away. Once they open it up hopefully then you will have a better idea as to the cause of the failure...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Quest went back into the water on Friday 7/2. Transmission seal fixed. My son brought her home so I didn't get to test the results until Saturday. I seemed to have a vibration that wasn't there before and had the mechanic check the alignment. He did that yesterday and sea trialed the boat. Says it's much smoother. Hopefully I'll get to test it tomorrow. The leaking seal and work have kept me from using her much for the last two weeks. I'd like to have a smooth and trouble free time for the next few weeks.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Well the engine re-alignment solved the vibration problem. I think it's smoother than ever. At the same time my mechanic replaced the valve cover gasket. When I tried the boat on Friday about 30 minutes after leaving my dock the oil pressure dropped. A check revealed low oil level in the engine and oil in the bilge. Called the mechanic and he came over in about an hour. The only problem he found was that the new gasket had a defect. He replaced it and we tested the boat. All seemed fine. I ran the boat for several hours the next day and the oil leak is gone. He had also rebuilt the steering ram and it became very slow to respond to the helm during my trip. I think it didn't get bled properly. He is fixing it tomorrow. Three straight weeks with the mechanic on board, ugh. I hope I have a few weeks without having to call him. My bank account will appreciate it too.

See you all in Solomons.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis

Return to “Albin Maintenance”