• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

scheduled maintenance

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

scheduled maintenance

Post by erice »

i'm looking for a 32+2 or 35' cb; i've never owned a diesel before. what is different about maintaining the engine? costs? how much oil does it take, etc. thanks, eric.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: scheduled maintenance

Post by jleonard »

Knowing the brand of diesel engine would help.
However, generically, a diesel needs clean fuel. Repeat...a diesel needs clean fuel. Meaning changing filters regularly (at least annually) is necessary. And there will be a primary (ie Racor) and a secondary or on engine filter. That and oil changes as you would expect, but the oil capacity is greater perhaps 16 qts (again depending on the engine brand).
Maintaining the cooling system is more critical on a diesel, meaning the raw water portion, so never skimp there and wait for the engne to run hot like many of the gas engine guys do (at least they do at my marina).
You'll probably also have an aftercooler that will require maintenance every 2 or 3 seasons, so plan on that.

I'm also going to mention that if/when you need a mechanic, a diesel one will likely cost you more.
Parts may or may not be more expensive. Depends on the Brand. Cummins are pretty reasonable, Yanmars are pricey, don't know abut Penninsular, never bought anything for one of those.

That's a few thoughts, others will hopefully comment.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

erice wrote:i'm looking for a 32+2 or 35' cb; i've never owned a diesel before. what is different about maintaining the engine? costs? how much oil does it take, etc. thanks, eric.
Erice,
My questions exactly a few years ago. Since my purchase I have put on about 400 hours. Change the oil and filters. That's about it. I have the Peninsular, which holds 13 quarts. I have replaced my injectors. Not expensive. Winterizing the engine takes about 10 minutes and four or five gallons of the pink RV anti-freeze.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
nan1rik1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by nan1rik1 »

To whoever posted the tip about A/C not working on a 32+2 due to A/C pump needing to be primed after having boat hauled. THANK YOU. An easy fix once you know what is wrong, my mechanic just sort of looked at me, said that it makes sense, he then primed and released the air block in the intake hose and the A/C works like a charm.
Somebody had posted a tip about installing a Tee valve in line with the pump to make it even easier, would love to hear that again or any other pump tips.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”