• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cosmetic or of concern?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Cosmetic or of concern?

Post by kathylsails »

We looked at a 2004 30 FC this weekend and loved the design! What a cool boat! The hull was in good shape but the gear shifter and head fixtures (like the faucet and soap dish) were pitted and some of the cabin hardware was rusty. We have kept boats well into their 20s and have not had this happen. Is it a cosmetic problem only or cause for concern? If it is cosmetic, what would cause it and how would we keep it from getting worse or happening again? The windshield wipers were also rusty, which wasn't too much cause for concern, but how frequently does that happen and how frequently do they need replaced?
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cosmetic or of concern?

Post by johnmurray »

My boat is also a 2004 A-30FC (Hull #15) and I have not experienced any of the pitting or corrosion that you describe anywhere on my boat. I don't think this has anything to do with the fact that boat you looked at is a A-30FC rather than a A-28. Since I am on fresh water (the Ottawa River) and my boat is in the water only five months out of twelve, I am much less likely to experience corrosion as compared with any similarily aged boat that is in a salt water environment and is the water for a much longer season.
If the corrosion bothers you, I suggest that it is trivial to replace things like cabin fittings and plumbing fixtures. It would be much more costly to replace the engine controls or external SS fittings like guard rails or arches. in any case I think the appearance could be improved by the application of a good metal polish and that should also slow down further corrosion.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

Many thanks. We didn't think it was because the boat was a 30 FC, but thought that it was strange that such corrosion had already taken place. You are so right...replacing hardware and fixtures is much less expensive than other things....especially on a boat!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

It's obviously just cosmetic. But that doesn't mean it isn't of concern. Make sure your surveyor is checking for corrosion or moisture damage in other areas of the boat. It is strange to see corrosion like that in the cabin. It makes me think that something about how the boat was stored or used allowed corrosive saltwater to get into those areas. Perhaps someone just left a porthole open on the ride home late in the season and it was never properly cleaned up before the boat was laid up for the winter.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Usually a sign of very little use. Not so much engine hours, just lack of any activity. Things just are not getting aired out the way a regularly used boat does. Add a little water in the bilge, close up the boat for weeks or more likely months on end and it's gonna happen.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

Thanks to all of you who answered. The problem was only cosmetic, and the corroded parts cleaned up exceptionally well and the boat got a glowing report from the surveyor. So, we bought her!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

Congratulations! Always glad to know of another A-30FC owner. Don't hesitate to contact me directly with any detailed questions
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada

Return to “General Discussion”