• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

RE GLASSING AFT CABIN DECK

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JOHN&LISE'SALBIN33

RE GLASSING AFT CABIN DECK

Post by JOHN&LISE'SALBIN33 »

OK IM NEW AT THIS CHAT THING SO DONT GET UPSET WITH ME!(lol) NO 5 YEAR OLD TO TEACH ME!
I HAVE A AFT CABIN TRAWLER AND IT IS A BIT WEEK . CAN I LAY GLASS OVER IT OR IS THERE SOMTHING ELSE I SHOULD DO?
SHOULD I LAY DOWN PLY FIRST OR SOMTHING OTHER THAT IS BETTER?
ALBIN 33 AFT CABIN TRAWLER
Boatmon

Re: RE GLASSING AFT CABIN DECK

Post by Boatmon »

John,

Welcome aboard!

I think we need some more specific information and maybe photos of your situation, before any ideas can be presented;
-Where/why is it weak, is there other damage surrounding this area, how long has the area been effected,etc?

Many times if water has penetrated, it has migrated to surrounding areas. So if the gel and top coat are cracked, there's likely other things to look at. If not, maybe something had un-bonded or delaminated, very different situations. I personally am always an advocate of knowing what you have, if that involves opening something up to inspect then so be it. Then you know whats in there. And then depending on what you find, you can determine your best course of action.

We spent all winter repairing and improving our newly purchased A-36. This vessel was purchased with a long term commitment in mind, so everything we do is done accordingly. We pulled all the water stained teak paneling off the side-cabin walls, fully expecting core damage. there was none! But, the first rain we discovered that there are pretty good leaks coming from the bridge deck. So in the fall we will cut into the roof/deck, replace/repair any damaged core, re-glass, and per my wife's request the plan is to glue (not screw) the teak decks back down.

So the short of this is; if you're able to provide more information, it will help us better understand the situation.

Cheers!
JOHN&LISE'SALBIN33

i saw aome stain's in the head liner so i pulled it down to find the hatch has been leaking ! i pulled it all down to the glass rebuilt all the frame and re did the head liner and noe the deck seem's to have flex to it! i just want to know it is not going to be a prob down the road so i was going to lay some 3/4 ply and glass over it for more stiffness we are allways on the go with the boat and are headed to florida in two mo then over to the inlands so i dont want to have to do it there! it is all dry and strong inside now ! im not a small guy 300lbs so that might be part of the prob. i was going to do the bridge at the same time it is a trwlaer and nothing go's fast not even the work!
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

-Do you have some photos that you can post?
-How easily can you access the under side of that deck?

My initial thought is to bond the 3/4" ply to the underside of the deck and then glass it in from there. This would avoid having all the cosmetic blending, non-skid and gelcoat or painting to do. With much help and guidance from a friend we just redid our bridge/brow area in March; a very big undertaking if you do it right. I would think the same would be true for your deck..."Better to do it right instead of right now!"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

By "a bit weak", what exactly do you mean? How much does it flex? I'm a 220# guy and I sell boats for a living. I'm stepping on and off of boats all the time and it's pretty common that they will flex a bit under my weight. Don't take this the wrong way, but on a broad, unsupported deck like that above the aft cabin of a trawler, I would expect it to flex a but under 300# of weight.

That said, if it's severe, or you suspect problems for other reasons, you may have a problem. Do you know if it's cored? If so, do you know the type of coring and the condition of it? Assuming the structure is solid, and perhaps it has just lost some of it's strength over time (fiberglass does do this), you may want to stiffen it. My inclination is always to try to add "engineered stiffening braces" rather than just increase the thickness. You can accomplish a lot with 5# of well placed fiberglass; probably more than what you can accomplish with 500# of plywood and glass that's just laid over everything. Any overlaying should be done INSIDE for sure. Unless you're a real professional, you will never be able to recreate the factory gelcoat finish on the outside. Whereas, on the inside, you can cover it up with paneling and a headliner.
JOHN&LISE'SALBIN33

GOOD POINT
I TOOK OUT THE INSIDE HEAD LINER ONCE MORE AND HAVE LOOKED IT OVER A FEW TIMES
WITH THAT IN MIND I AM GOING TO LAY UP SOME 2X2'S AND GLASS THEM IN PLACE TO STIFFIN IT UP THEN LAY A GOOD LAYER OF GLASS OVER IT ALL!
I WILL HAVE ALOT TO DO THIS WEEK! THEN AFTER THE SMELL CLEARS I PLAN ON A TEAK HEAD LINER ( HOUSTON HARD WOOD'S HAS IT ALL) GOOD GUY'S .
KEEP YOUR FINGER'S CROSSED! MINE ARE!
I FOUND THAT THE WOOD FRAME IS PINE????? YOU THINK THAT IS PART OF THE PROB?(lol)

Return to “General Discussion”