• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hydraulic steering

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Dennis Judy Rush

hydraulic steering

Post by Dennis Judy Rush »

We own a 37' Palmbeach Albin and are having trouble with steering. Can anyone tell us where to look and what kind of oil to fill with and where to fill.
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: hydraulic steering

Post by Gunny »

Who built your hydraulics system? If Hynautics as is my 34 I may can help. As to location not sure on your boat.Hynautics has a hydraulic steering oil that is available. If not they recommend Dextron II Type A automatic transmission fluid, but say it will increase steering effort. Hope this helps.
Boatmon

Re: hydraulic steering

Post by Boatmon »

Hynautics makes their own steering fluid, similar viscosity to brake fluid and can be purchased at West Marine for about $20. DO NOT mix fluid types, it's either Hynautics OR the Dextron ATF. The oil reservoir indicates the min/max levels, as well as the recommended air pressure. The cylinder should be behind the lower helm station (maybe behind a door inside the hanging locker) Low oil level or air pressure could create a problem with the system.

I hope this help a little.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”