• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hydrolic leak on my 28 te

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

hydrolic leak on my 28 te

Post by saltshaker28 »

I just took the raw water strainer out of the boat and saw a leak on the piston to my steering has any one ever rebuilt a piston and how hard was it
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Re: hydrolic leak on my 28 te

Post by Rx-scape »

I replaced the cylinder on Rx-scape, if yours is a SeaStar mfg. by Teleflex in Canada but with Albin not all 28TE are the same. Original was a HC5212 but West Marine only local source, only carries the HC5314 a little larger cylinder and larger piston but fits in easy. I bought a replacement seals and the spanner pin wrench but have not tried to replace them.
I had a little trouble getting the replacement seals kit some places will only sell them to a "qualified marine hydraulic mechanic" which I am not, or a Boat repair shop.
I thought I will replace the seals and have a spare or have a mechanic do it that has done it before.
Rx-scape
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: hydrolic leak on my 28 te

Post by RobS »

I replaced my 5312 with the heavier duty 5314. I was at the Essex Rendezvous when mine let go so swapping with a new one was the easiest way to go. Plus I had wanted to move up to the heavier model and luckily that's what I was able to find in stock. I considered rebuilding the old unit for a spare but it's not that costly of a unit so the cost of the rebuild did not seem worth it. Plus it's a very reliable unit, especially if you move away from the 5312 to a heavier unit. The steering is easier with the 5314 and she still tracks great. More turns from hard over to hard over helps from bottoming out the steering
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”