• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wiper refills/replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Wiper refills/replacement

Post by RobS »

Russell wrote:...There is no drain plug. The bolt goes into the bottom of the unit.
That seems odd...but you have that unit so I am not doubting you, just trying to picture the setup. So, is the casting of the lower unit thick enough that you can securely thread a bolt into it without going through? Or does the zinc bolt also act as a drain plug/bolt?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

There is a thickened flat area on the bottom of the unit that is threaded for the bolt. It is not a drain hole. I will see if I can take a better picture tonight. I now have a Bennett trim tab zinc on it and it might show the shape of the unit better. When I purchased my boat the zinc was worn away but the stainless bolt was still there. I looked everywhere for the drain plug and finally figured out there was none. You will notice that there are only 4 blades on the prop and the unit is almost useless in anything but a dead calm and no current, which of course is when you don't need it.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Thanks for the additional info Russ. No drain plug, wow, not at all conducive for gear fluid changes. Could it be a dry sump?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Thank you Russ !!! That's my 23Kgf at last. Wish I was hauling out this spring so I could actually fix this, maybe my diver can do it (??).
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Here is the picture I took last night. It shows the 23Kgf with a Bennett trim tab zinc cut in half which was installed last fall and seems to have about 75% remaining. The tab zinc has a stainless sleeve for the bolt so when the zinc is gone the bolt stays tight. If you do this, use the bolt from the Vetus zinc because the trim tab bolt is too long. I believe there is some type of permanent lubrication in this unit. Maybe when they increased the power of the motor they decided that it needed a way to change the oil. I am supposed to relaunch this afternoon if they get the hull waxed. :D I painted the bottom myself but think I will hire someone to do that too next time. I am getting too old for that kind of work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”