• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Getting the boat ready for summer

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Getting the boat ready for summer

Post by Mariner »

Not a lot of activity here lately, so I figured I'd share.

So far I've hit most of the top sides with cleaner wax. Still need to coat it with a protective wax and polish the hull. Man, the blue hull sure seems to oxidize quickly. This year I will be using a more aggressive compound than in the past. Also, I'm considering investing in a Porter Cable polisher.

I think I have the generator issue figured out. Just need to bleed the fuel lines again. At least I hope that's it.

I have no idea why, but the Raymarine units still aren't talking to each other over the HSB2 system. That is, they do for a while, and then it craps out. Really annoying, and I have no idea what's causing it. But I gotta get that figured out.

That's about it. What is everyone else doing to prepare for boating season?
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Re: Getting the boat ready for summer

Post by Legacy »

Boat's in and ready for this weekend's 75 degree weather. Had a diver wash the bottom and install new zincs. The "wife approved" bedding and towels are in, the kitchen items taken home and run through the wash and all systems checked out OK. Engines, genset and batteries all fine. Port throttle in the tower is really stiff so that needs some trouble shooting and I need to replace two of the deck lights as their frames have started to disintegrate. Have to pass on awlgrip again due to budget constraints so I'll do another compound and wax as time permits.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Legacy, are you referring to the courtesy lights? What make and model are they. I have to replace a broken one too.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

Install new impeller, install new alternator, change fuel filter, install batteries, add fuel, install bilge filter, install new anodes, add more fuel, check oil, check antifreeze, clean boat from top to bottom, cross fingers, start motor, put on canvas top, wait for lobster season to end, (May 31st) do all of the things I forgot!
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

splashed this morning but far too windy for a shakedown cruise. tomorrow will install radome that was removed for trailering and take care of a few details.

saturday's 80* weather should make for a good shakedown with the "admiral". perhaps wet a line looking for opening day block island fluke!

cheers!
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Mariner, you make sure that you have that boat looking its best by the time we get there. We are currently a little east of Twin Falls, ID. Might as well be on a boat with all this wind. Got snowed in for a night east of SLC a couple days ago. About 5" of 30% chance of.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

When I took a diesel course at Mack Boring before I bought my Albin, they recommended the sea water pump impeller for the engine cooling system be changed every spring. My boatyard said it is not necessary every year, and not to bother this year. I had it changed last spring before I took possession of the boat.

Do you change the impeller every year?

John S.
Albin 35 CB "OTTER"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Yanmar dealer changed my impeller last year at 500 hours. Looked nearly perfect. I've kept it as a spare.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Putting the boat on the truck to head North on May 24th.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

powerboater, took the course also. remember larry saying long lay ups will cause salt to dry and stick impeller to housing.

fresh water wash and winterization should avoid the catastrophic failure of the rubber impeller from that. however if it does disintegrate we're looking at tearing down the entire cooling system including intercooler.
i'll be running a second season on my impeller. come to think of it i could go multiple seasons on my large outboard.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I change out the impeller every other season. I never keep the old as a spare. They get brittle and deteriorate.
I have a new one onboard as a spare that gets installed, then I buy a new one for a spare.
Keep rotating the stock.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

I came up with a minor maintenance issue yesterday. I found some of the white curtains in the main cabin of my 35 CB have mildew spots. The curtains feel like a linen type fabric -- I have no idea of they were original Albin equipment.

I took the curtains off and brought them home, and I am trying to figure out what to wash them in that will take off the mildew and not harm or discolor the fabric. One person said to use white vinegar and/or baking soda. Any suggestions?

Thanks
John Schieffelin
Jamestown, RI
2005 35 CB "OTTER"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

My list started small this year but seems to be growing.

Hull - light compound, double wax
Topsides - double wax
Bottom - Soda blast. (hasn't be done before) Fresh bottom paint.
Removed old radar and replaced with Lowrance array to tie into my single display. Still doesn't work. I'm waiting for an hardware upgrade that's back ordered until June.
Purchased a "temporary" Avanti refrigerator until I can find the exact replacement for my old Norcold. Finally found one last week. It's on the way. The Avanti (2 months old) will be in the For Sale forum soon.
Replaced old horn with white powder coated horn from Defender.
Changed the oil at winter lay-up.
Changed impeller last year. No need to change now.

Cruise to nowhere this weekend. Beautiful weather.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Fogg~Dogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fogg~Dogg »

Used Poly Glow preparation this year on the 2002 dark blue hull. Compounded the base, got out most of the oxidation. Used their Poly Prep, then applied 8 coats of Poly Glow. All in all, not bad. The applicator is a bit tough to deal with, especially when you get close to a perpindicular surface. Next time, I'd do the whole hull with their deoxidizer and compound. The way the stuff works is that the muultiple layers essentially block light from getting to the gelcoat. As the layers deepen, they form their own deep coat...when you look at it, you're looking into the depth of the layers. Kinda like a clear coat on a car. Nice trick! The Fogg~Dogg goes in the water on Monday, so I'll pass along the wear issues if they develop.
balance
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Sarasota, FL

Post by balance »

I think we have the same shower curtains on our 31 Tournament Express. I'd rather buy new but can't find them anywhere. Anyone know? Searched internet, wholseale books, can't find anything that looks like them.

Return to “General Discussion”