• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stiff helm

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

maineman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Georgetown Island, Maine

Stiff helm

Post by maineman »

The helm on my 1996 28TE, "KTQ", seems really stiff - takes more effort to steer than you might expect from hydraulic system. I bled the cylinder, topped off the fluid and checked the piston for pitting. All the mounts are tight and secure and the lines run without obstruction. And still she feels stiff! Local wisdom has included: "The rudder post arm is too short"; "The helm's too small", etc. Neither seems likely to me to be the problem. Anyone else had this problem? Is rudder post bearing lubrication a possibility? How do you tell? (There's no leak or weep that I can see, but I could re-check) How is it done? Could I have done the cylinder bleed improperly? Anyone know a source for instructions? Is it something tricky enough to require a professional?

As an aside, I actually don't like the cheesy little black rubber-coated helm that it came with. Anyone ever replaced it with a larger one?

Thanks in advance for any shared wisdom. I love this forum!

Tom McCandless
28TE "KTQ"
Georgetown Island, ME
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Re: Stiff helm

Post by furball »

Tom,
I think I asked the same question after my sea trial. The steering is stiff and if memory serves me, most of the responses were basically, "yup, stiff steering". I think it has more to do with hull, prop and rudder design then a steering problem. I suppose a larger cylinder would reduce the required force as well as a larger wheel. Good luck.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Disconnect the tiller arm from the cylinder. Does the rudder move freely by hand? Does the cylinder ram move freely without the rudder connected? Sort of narrows down the source of the problem rather than speculating.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
maineman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Georgetown Island, Maine

Post by maineman »

Thanks, Veebyes2 - good suggestions - will try those a.s.a.p.

tom mccandless
1996 28TE "KTQ"
Georgetown Island, Maine
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!"
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

I learned very quickly that this is a "cool weather" issue that comes and goes every Spring and Fall with many Albins.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My steering was too stiff as well. Last year my steering cylinder went at the Essex Rendezvous. I swapped it out with a new cylinder 2 sizes larger. Night and day difference, now it's like power steering in an automobile and still tracks perfectly. There is a difference in the number of turns to go lock to lock. The smaller 5312 that came stock was 4 turns lock to lock, the larger 5314 is 6 turns lock to lock. This helps keeping from turning too far and running out of travel on the steering which is ill advised.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”