• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

DC fridge

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

DC fridge

Post by GoFish »

When we bought the boat, the fridge in the cabin did not work. We have just gotten around to replacing it, and I was surprised to discover it is DC only. The fridge in the wheelhouse is AC/DC, so I just assumed the one in the cabin would be the same. Of course, I probably should have investigated this BEFORE buying a replacement AC/DC. Before I return the new one, has anyone converted to ac/dc? I assume I would need a dedicated circuit if I did (?). I hate the idea of having to keep this fridge running off the battery when we are away.

Go Fish
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: DC fridge

Post by jcollins »

gofish,
My Norcold DC340 ended it's life last year. After messing around with trying find parts to fix it I gave up and decided to replace. I was never really happy with leaving the battery charger on all the time when away from the boat. So, I decided to replace with ac/dc this time. I am not a cheap man but 1000.00 for a small refrigerator just doesn't feel right to me. So, I purchased an Avanti cube ac/dc frig for around 200.00. I'm fortunate to have a brother-in-law that is a trim capenter and owes me a favor. With his help, I'll get the new one installed this month. I'll post the progress here and let you know how it worked out.

http://www.avantiproducts.com/products/id/367

My plan is to tap into the same circuit as the microwave for the AC side. The DC wires are already there from the old refrigerator.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

John, not trying to burst your bubble, but did you read the installation manual? It says the unit should be free standing, not to inclose it. If nothing else, make sure that any modifications you might make to the counter can be put back. Hey maybe your onto something, if it lasts a couple years you can buy 4 more and still be ahead of the game.

http://www.avantiproducts.com/manual/sh ... 12sdc3.pdf
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Carl,
I read that as well. No burst bubbles yet. 8)
The framing will be done in a way we can remove it. Like you said, if I get 3-4 years I'll be happy.
We are thinking of installing a whisper fan in the wall on the sink side to circulate air. The manual says not to exceed 90 degrees. That will be tough in the summer.
I use these fans in conference rooms for built-in workstations. Very quiet. Since this fridge doesn't have a compressor the only noise will be the fan. (hopefully) The downside for the fan is it will be AC. I'll have to use the inverter when on the hook. (or just try it without the fan)

I'll probably be bitching next year about my stupid refrigerator. :lol:
John
jcollins
In Memorium

Re: DC fridge - Update

Post by jcollins »

Did I mention I was half Polish? :oops:
After thinking about all the cutting to make this fridge work I decided it's not worth it. I'm thinking about resale. If i was a buyer I wouldn't like it.
I did run the connections and it works fine but, for now, It's sitting next to the space for the original sink. Since there is only two of us we don't really use the side berth.
I'll use it until I find a DC340 in good condition or a suitable replacement.

Carl - thanks for making me stop and think.

John
John
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I replaced my Norcold with a Dometic DC unit last year. I don't understand why people are opposed to DC units. When I am plugged into shore power, the charger runs continuously, so there is no problem with the batteries. When I am away from the dock, the refrigerator is running on DC anyway. The more equipment I can run on DC, the happier I am. My next upgrade is a marinized LCD TV which is a DC powered unit. I like things uncomplicated.

The Dometic is also marketed under the Tundra brand. It is a really solid unit, and uses a Danfoss compressor, which is excellent technology. Really quiet. My old Norcold made a lot of noise, so much so that I frequently turned it off when anchored out so I could sleep.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Albin Maintenance”