• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

air conditioner/generator installation

Albin's "power cruisers"
Driftwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

air conditioner/generator installation

Post by Driftwood »

Has anyone installed an air conditioner in a A27? I want to (us Floridian's love our AC)and was thinking of putting it in the storage space beneath the seat cushion, starboard side just forward of the head. I figure a 5000-6000 BTU reverse cycle would do the trick??
Also, what about a generator? Not sure where it could be located?
Thanks
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: air conditioner/generator installation

Post by Don from Mystic »

I put a 1200 watt/120 v.a.c. inverter in my 27. I run a small microwave, TV, laptop, etc, problem free when anchoring out for a few days. I have two good batteries. Somthing to consider if you cant find a spot for the generator -
stardust-v42
First Mate
First Mate

Post by stardust-v42 »

Hi Driftwood. When we purchased our A27 it already had an Air Conditioner/Heat unit installed. It seems to work just fine. It is 5000 BTU I believe. The main compressor is on a shelf that is under the large locker under the V-Berth. There is still some storage under this "shelf". The water intake thru-hull is in the smaller locker (starboard side) just in front of the head. There is still plenty of space in this smaller locker for storage. And the overboard discharge is located on the port side of the boat. And the input "conditioned air" goes forward from the compressor under the bunk and then comes up just in front of the anchor locker to a small teak box (mounted on the forward wall that seperates the saloon with the anchor locker) This teak box has a grille to exhaust the air into the cabin. Hope this description is clear enough to give you some ideas.

John McCahan
Boyne City, Mi
m/v BLUE MOON
1987 Albin 27 SC
Driftwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Driftwood »

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the detailed info.

Jerry Wood
Ochlockonee Bay, FL
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

How did you make out with you AC unit installation?
I chartered an AC27 that had 2 installed.
Here are Photos of installation which were clean and professional looking.
Might be of interest to somebody else too.
warren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by sail149 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
aspear
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by aspear »

I was thinking about using a larger RV air conditioner on top of the Pilot House opening. (All ready has a solor panel in the space I am talking about.) It wouldn't be the model of efficiency, but if you can air condition a pop-up camper, why couldnt you use one of these at dock to do the whole boat? If I gwr around to installing a gen set, I might to to the water cooled ones. In this area of the Texas coast, we get a lot fo "cabbage Heads". They are hard to pick out of a intake water strainer. Any thoughts?

Andy Spear

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”