• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Spare Starter & Alternator for Cummins

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Spare Starter & Alternator for Cummins

Post by Doug »

I want to purchase a spare starter and a spare alternator for our Cummins 6BTA. Where (online) is a reasonable place to purchase these spares?
Thanks,
Doug
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Spare Starter & Alternator for Cummins

Post by jleonard »

SBMar.com Seaboard marine.
First however, ask yourself if a spare starter or alternator is really wise to carry in the bilge of your boat. By the time you need it, it may be a ball of rust.
A starter should last thousands of hours and 15 years perhaps. Same with the alternator.
And both parts can be purchased almost anyplace. The alternator is a Delco standard. Either can be rebuilt in an hour at any shop.
I even rebuilt a Cummins starter for a friend on Block Island once.... and with no spare parts. Long story :wink:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

As my Cummins is getting near that 15 year mark and 2000 hours I wonder if the starter will give any signs of failure before it goes out. I would hate to be surprised after a bottom fishing drift while offshore. I think the engine can operate without the alternator until the batteries discharge and we should be able to make it home with that problem. When we go out to the gulf stream to troll for tuna we never shut the engine down so the starter is not a big worry there.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
JeffM
Mate
Mate

Post by JeffM »

Single engine boat, good to carry a spare starter. It can go out without warning. Alternator not as critical. Stay with the original Delco starter and not one of the cheaper aftermarket models. Seaboard Marine in Oxnard, CA is a good place to order online. Call Brad at Seaboard 805 382-6287. He is a good guy. One way to preserve the starter is to vacume seal it. Use one of the food vacume sealers. This works good and will protect it from the elements. Also helps if you can store it in a place other than the bilge.

Good Luck!

Jeff

Return to “Albin Maintenance”