• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Taught Line Bowline

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Taught Line Bowline

Post by Halcyon »

Hi, I'm hoping someone out there help me with a question I have been trying to get an answer for for some time.
Can you tie a bowline in a line under tension? If yes, how? I have heard it is possible but never had anyone demonstrate.
I have found several u-tube videos on tieing a flying boline, but non while under tension.

Thanks!
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Taught Line Bowline

Post by johnmurray »

I do it all the time, but only with a modest amount of tension on the line. I simply hold the small loop with my left hand take the tension off the line while I take the bow around the piling with my right hand and pass it back through the small loop. I cannot do this unless I can take the tension with one hand.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Thats what I do now, but I think there is a way to tie a bowline without having to form the loop. My memeory could be wrong! Thanks for the reply. TD
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I was at West Marine buying some line about 2 years ago, had my older daughter with me who was then 19. Older gent selling us the line asked her if she can tie a bowline, ship whips one out in seconds. He then asks her if she can tie it with with one hand while the line was under pressure, she says no of course and he proceeds to show her how. remember this " Over, under, around and through" hard to explain, but it works.

You can tie this buy wrapping the line around you or an object, taking the working end of the line in you hand and go over the part of the line that has the tension on it, then under and around it, you will have a loop around your wrist, just pull your wrist though it and bingo , you have it. :shock:

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
aspear
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by aspear »

World War II Navy vets wer taught to tie a bowlen without the traditional loop. Before they could go to sea, they had to be able to tie a bowlen without the loop. They were taught this to enable them to catch a line and tie it aroung their waist in an emergency! Was told this by an old gent I knew as a child. Don't know if it is factual.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I don't think I can do it with very much tension.
But take a look at the following link...it may help.
It's fun on a rainy day........
http://www.animatedknots.com/
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

"You can tie this buy wrapping the line around you or an object, taking the working end of the line in you hand and go over the part of the line that has the tension on it, then under and around it, you will have a loop around your wrist, just pull your wrist though it and bingo , you have it. "
Captain Paul, thanks this is as close as I've gotten to an answer but I can't make it work. I must not understand your directions. Am I supposed to keep holding on to the working end throughout the process? ( I think not )
The loop that forms around my wrist is the tension end, correct? When I pull my hand out it just undoes the over under around action. What am i missing? Thanks!
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

OK a little modification to what I said may help. I went out to the garage and practiced this.

"You can tie this buy wrapping the line around you or an object, taking the working end of the line in you hand and go over the part of the line that has the tension on it, then under it ( at this point you will have the loop around your wrist, do not let go) now go around the tension part of the line ( once you go around it you will need to make sure you can pull the working end through the loop around your wrist, this tends to be the tricky part, you may have to re-adjust the line in your hand by loosening your grip,do not let go of the working end of the line until you are done), just pull your wrist through it and bingo , you have it. "

If you are undoing the loop when pulling it through you did not go around the line correctly.

I will try and make a video of this and post it if you still have problems.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Thanks Paul I think I got it. I edited your directions a bit see if I'm still tying the correct knot
Capt Paul wrote:You can tie this buy wrapping the line around you or an object, taking the working end of the line in you hand and go over the part of the line that has the tension on it, then under it ( at this point you will have the loop around your wrist, do not let go) lift your arm/hand to help the loop come together like a braceletnow go around the tension part of the line forming the loop around your body/pole, this requires passing the end of the line around the tension line with your fingers ( once you go around it you will need to make sure you can pull the working end through the loop around your wrist, this tends to be the tricky part, you may have to re-adjust the line in your hand by loosening your grip,do not let go of the working end of the line until you are done), just pull your wrist through it and bingo , you have it. "
If I'm doing this knot correctly, its a cool knot for sure but not what I'm after. A line with any load wrapped around your wrist would be uncomfortable and dangerous. I think this may be what I've seen referred to as a WWII era US Navy rescue knot. I believe it is so you can secure a line around yourself while holding on to someone or thing. Thanks anyhow!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

This thread inspired me to try doing this. I started by tying a bowline in the traditional manner. I then worked it out so that the running line was straight. I took a picture while it was loose and then attempted to re-tie it by looking at the picture and then pulling it back into the shape of a bowline. Guess what? It worked!

Here's a picture:
taught bowline.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
westrivertrawler

Post by westrivertrawler »

Sorry, it looks to me like that knot is going to slip down the line, where a true bowline won't.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

That's before it's pulled tight. It pulls into a true bowline when you pull the bitter end up and to the right.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Well that's as close as I've seen yet! Thanks. It still takes a little slack to get the bitter end to pull the taught line into a loop but it works. I look forward to trying it in some real world situations. Come on Spring!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yes, you can't do it on a line that is truly under a lot of tension. But it requires a lot less slack than tying it traditionally.

Return to “General Discussion”