• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The good and bad of Albins with Stern Drives?

Torque
Deckhand
Deckhand

The good and bad of Albins with Stern Drives?

Post by Torque »

I am looking at a 28' TE with an outdrive. According to the owner, its top speed is a few knots better than TE's configured with inboard motors. Besides the issues of keeping an outdrive in salt water, are there other reasons why one should stay away from an Albin with a stern drive / I/O?

Thanks for your help.

John
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: The good and bad of Albins with Stern Drives?

Post by jcollins »

Hi John,
Welcome to AOG.
Having owned I/Os in the past (different brand), I like 'em. The obvious is salt water. Second thing that worried me was the bellows going bad. Third worry was that is a lot of money hanging OUTSIDE the boat. Speed and dockside handling will be much better.
Where do you boat? Fresh, salt, or brackish? I was in brackish for years and never had any corrosion problems.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Torque
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Torque »

Jcollins,

Thanks for the welcome! I agree with everything you said. And I definitely like the extra speed and better handling at the dock. I am in Dana Point in Southern California. The boat I'm looking at comes with a trailer, but I will likely keep it in the water at the marina.

This 28 is the only one I've seen with a stern drive. Are there many out there? I'm wondering if there's a reason for being so few? Did Albin try them out in the 90's and later realize they weren't a good fit with this boat?

John
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hopefully others will jump in here. Does the Albin with the i/o have a keel? If not, that would be a significant difference.

If it does have a keel and your not going to use that trailer, you will have no problem selling it.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Torque
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Torque »

I might be wrong, but it doesn't appear to have one. It sits fairly low on the trailer.

Does anyone on this site have a 28' TE with an outdrive? If so, how do you like it? Any problems?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Torque
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Torque »

Thanks RobS.

J.
Dieseldogg
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Dieseldogg »

I have one of the few that Albin built with a Volvo-Penta Kad 43P and a Duo-prop. I bought it when I lived in Fl. in 1999. It was great for the shallows and bays around the state due to the tilt function of the outdrive unit. The duo-prop with power steering tracks straight and turns with one hand. The bow thruster makes docking simple. With the proper trailer underneath her, my only concern was that I had to load her at high tide due to the angle of the ramps in my area. Otherwise she is no more maintenance than any other boat I have owned. She is stern heavy as compaired to all he rest. Fuel mileage is teriffic.
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Hey Diesel dog , questions on this boat could you e mail me thx LPBP

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”