• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Albin Factory

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

AdvantageYS
Mate
Mate

New Albin Factory

Post by AdvantageYS »

As the new Albin dealer for northern New England, we recently visited the new Albin factory at C&C Fiberglass in Bristol, RI. I wanted to share some photos and info on the new build.

C&C has gone through the boat and spoken with owners and dealers to identify and improve some aspects of the boat, without changing the design and layout. They also spent significant time freshening up the molds. The new build appears stronger and very well put together. Tolerances are tight, lines are straight, and quality is definitely way up from the Palmer builds.

It appears that they have strengthened some stringers. They are also beveling corners of reinforcement materials to prevent air pockets in the glass. They are using a higher quality gelcoat that will resist fading better than before. The floor is wood, and they have done a great job with piecing together the seems. The engine is a Yanmar 315.

The factory has radiant-heated floors and is maintained at 70 degrees (even in the dead of winter) to carefully control cure times. Every boat is also floated and systems tested before delivery to the customer or dealer. These guys are really focused on quality; they say it is just too expensive to fix things in the field so they would rather find and fix at the factory. Note that these guys also build the Hunt, Northcoast, and J-95.

Here are some photos.

Doug
Doug G.
Advantage Yacht Sales
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Albin Factory

Post by Mariner »

This is GREAT news. Do you have high resolution versions of those pictures?

Also, do you know if they have a dealer out west yet?
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Lookin good! Any chance of a plant visit for current Albin owners?
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

I am just wondering what kind of windless c&c is useing on their new 28 express and did they modify the pulpit
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Sounds great. I was wondering if you were able to notice whether or not they have made any changes to the battery placements? I have a 2007 28 Newport and one of my batteries is located under the flooring between the hatches, on the starboard. Just about impossible to replace, without creative renovations.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
AdvantageYS
Mate
Mate

Post by AdvantageYS »

Mariner, I do have high res versions of those photos. I'll be posting them online within the next week and will let you know.

Saltshaker28, I don't know the windlass make/model though I can check at the upcoming New England Boat Show. The bow/anchor roller looks more "finished" and sleek that the previous models, but no major changes to the pulpit.

NJRobert, I believe the batteries are just to port of the companionway under the quarter berth.

Hope that helps!
Doug G.
Advantage Yacht Sales
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

NJRobert,
I sure know what you mean in replacing batteries! Been there.......
The 2003 engine box model I have has two 4D's in Todd battery boxes
One is directly in the center of the boat, right under the hatch between the helm and passenger seat. Not a problem with access.
However, the port side battery is immediately to the left. The above clearance is about 2-3 inches, just enough to remove the top of the Todd box cover.
Here's the rub....that TODD box is screwed to the base floor. No way can it be slid. It is immovable! And the battery can't be lifted out with tight clearance.
Albin had screwed the boxes in before they capped the hull. (Duh!)

2 choices.
1. Remove center battery/box. Cut the side of the port side box, remove the battery, replace the battery and re-use the existing battery box . Replace the center battery with existing box.
2. Remove the center battery/box. Cut the side of the box, remove the battery, unscrew the box, discard. Add removable frame around bottom of box to hold in place, slide new battery and box into place. Install last piece of frame. Replace the center battery with existing box.

I chose #2, thinking that the cutting of the port side battery box would completely destroy it, and render it unusable. However, once I removed the cut box, and put the box top back on, it was surprisingly rigid. In fact, a neighbor saw it in my truck and wanted it.
I used a hand held saber saw and removed the box top and cut straight down about 1" before each box corner almost to the bottom of the box and pulled the side of the box down and stepped on it. It folded nicely and allowed the battery removal, and then sprung back, nearly in place.
Naturally, I had already purchased the new boxes and batteries, so used the new one. But, I could have gotten away with the old one...... and perhaps a little duct tape reinforcement.
I hope that helps and applies to your model.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Thank you. My situation is the same but different location. The Newport edition has one battery dead center in the open area, after you remove the dry box in the middle. The other battery is behind the helm seat and in front of the HW heater. Same you know what....different place. Actually I am hoping that I can have the boat sold this spring, before I need to get a new battery. Too much boat and not enough time anymore.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

NJRobert wrote:Thank you. My situation is the same but different location. The Newport edition has one battery dead center in the open area, after you remove the dry box in the middle. The other battery is behind the helm seat and in front of the HW heater. Same you know what....different place. Actually I am hoping that I can have the boat sold this spring, before I need to get a new battery. Too much boat and not enough time anymore.
NJRobert,
Just curious. Are you downsizing or getting out of boating for awhile?

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Actually downsizing. I love the Albin, and it's alot of work to keep this 07 Newport looking and working like new. For the brief amount of time I go out on it (no one in the house goes with me anymore), the boat is deserving of someone who will make better use of it. Sleeping 2 nights in three years is a waste of cabin space. This boat has everything and I'm sure that somewhere, someone will put it to good use.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport

Return to “General Discussion”