• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What to look for in a used Albin aft cabin.........

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

reefdrifter
Deckhand
Deckhand

What to look for in a used Albin aft cabin.........

Post by reefdrifter »

We are presently looking at a 1988 Albin aft cabin trawler. Trying to decide between this and a 1986 Island Gypsy sedan style. What should I be looking for when going through the boat? Are there any areas that should be noted more than others. I know the survey will tell me more but on my initial look/see it is good to zero in an trouble areas. This is a Florida boat with about 1700 hours on the Lehman motor. New aluminum fuel tanks and water tank. They are asking 42K which does not seem too bad. What do you guys think? Your input is very much appreciated.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: What to look for in a used Albin aft cabin.........

Post by jleonard »

Problem areas...leaky window frames, look for telltale stains on the interior below the windows. Leaky teak (if it has teak) decks...look for stains inside cabinets and drawers, look for exposed deck screws (missing bungs). Split boards.
Rusty iron fuel tanks. Most have access hatches in the salon some place...use your flashlight and or digital camera to inspect where ever possible. Crawl behind the tanks if you can from the bilge.
Ask the owners if they took the Bob Smith Lehman course (really). Also ask if they have done the recommended upgrades if the engine is a 120 Lehman.
That will get you started.
If you see things and have questions ask away after you see the boat. Take pictures....digital pics are free.
If you own a moisture meter take it with you and use to screen boats. They are not all that expensive and a great tool for boat shopping. :wink:

Ohh...and if you get to do a sea trial...no need to bring your neck brace. :lol:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “General Discussion”