• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailering Laws

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trailering Laws

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi all,

Does anyone know the cut off point (i.e Gross Combined Weight) for which a (Boat) trailer must have brakes? And, how many axles on the trailers must contain brakes? I'm having a very hard time finding out if this law is the same in all states (which I'm told it is) or if it differs. If your wondering, the boat is NOT an Albin.

Cheers.

EA
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Trailering Laws

Post by Cape Codder »

Try Dept of Transportation on the internet
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Wearing my RV owners hat, there are a few things to consider.

What truck will be used? What is its gross vehicle weight rating?

My 5th wheel trailer weighs about 14,000# loaded. The truck is a 1 ton dually. GVWR is about 23,000# I believe.
The trailer is a double axel. I see triple axels on 18,000# trailers.

Get your specs together & go from there. Remember to give the boats weight loaded with fuel , water & supplies.
For a rough estimate many RV owners figure on 1000# or so for 'stuff'.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I once saw a website that listed the regulations for each state. It was very handy and provided links to official sites for each state as well for the most up-to-date and specific info. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what the site was called. Sorry.

But trust me, it IS out there.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

OK, so the reason why I'm ask is because of all the misinformation that's out there.

Mariner, to use you as an example, the website you provide hardly answers the question. For NY it says Brake Laws Tralier - 1000 (9). I assume that means 1000lbs, but what does 9 mean. On another website http://www.trailerboats.com/images/ele ... w_Laws.pdf it says NY is 3000lbs. neither gives how many axles requires brakes.

Veebyes2, the truck being used to pull probably does not influence the law, if it states that a trailer carrying 3000lbs or more needs brakes. By the ways its an F150 that has a tow capacity of 11500lbs and my trailer + boat rig will prob be under 4000lbs.

I'm hearing different things from different people in different states, even from people who sell trailers in respective states. I'm even told by a trailer dealer in NY that there is not a Federal Law at this time, your bound by the rules of the state the trailer is registered in, but I cant find any clear rules in NY.

Finally, a friend of the family who works in the DMV of NY says there is no law :shock:

It appears that no one knows, and considering that I just bought a new trailer w/o brakes based on bad information (from many sources) I'd like to know FOR SURE what I have to do to be in the law. Brakes for the trailer now will cost me $1000, if I ordered them to start, it would of cost me $500 on top of what I paid for the trailer....so basically I'm out another $500.

Please excuse my rant and understand I'm not on the attack here, just very very frustrated.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

EA,
Call the folks who write the tickets. Call the local or state police in the areas where you aren't sure. Keep a record of the contact from each call so you have a name to drop as well. Government is always so efficient and helpful, this should be easy. :lol:
Good luck
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:OK, so the reason why I'm ask is because of all the misinformation that's out there.

Mariner, to use you as an example, the website you provide hardly answers the question. For NY it says Brake Laws Tralier - 1000 (9). I assume that means 1000lbs, but what does 9 mean. On another website http://www.trailerboats.com/images/ele ... w_Laws.pdf it says NY is 3000lbs. neither gives how many axles requires brakes.

Veebyes2, the truck being used to pull probably does not influence the law, if it states that a trailer carrying 3000lbs or more needs brakes. By the ways its an F150 that has a tow capacity of 11500lbs and my trailer + boat rig will prob be under 4000lbs.

I'm hearing different things from different people in different states, even from people who sell trailers in respective states. I'm even told by a trailer dealer in NY that there is not a Federal Law at this time, your bound by the rules of the state the trailer is registered in, but I cant find any clear rules in NY.

Finally, a friend of the family who works in the DMV of NY says there is no law :shock:

It appears that no one knows, and considering that I just bought a new trailer w/o brakes based on bad information (from many sources) I'd like to know FOR SURE what I have to do to be in the law. Brakes for the trailer now will cost me $1000, if I ordered them to start, it would of cost me $500 on top of what I paid for the trailer....so basically I'm out another $500.

Please excuse my rant and understand I'm not on the attack here, just very very frustrated.
If you click on the "footnotes" tab on the bottom of the page (I know, it took me forever to find it as well), it takes you to, guess what, the footnotes!

"9. Required on trailers over 1000 lbs. unladen, or 3000 lbs. laden."
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Furball - good idea, much appreciated.
Mariner- thanks for the sarcasam.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Not to belittle your truck, but since no boat description was given I was assuming you were talking about at least an Albin 27, which is something around 7000# dry. There are a number of owners who trailer their 27s on a regular basis. Heck, with the right truck & trailer a 28 would not be a difficult tow, though permits would be required.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Veebyes2,

No Problem. I didn't take it that way. Thanks for trying to help.

I received confirmation last night from NYS DMV that 3000lbs is the cut off. Brakes are needed on at least 1 axle. This is official as of 1997.
Brandy1937
Mate
Mate

Post by Brandy1937 »

By Brandy
OK heres my 2 cents worth. I've been pulling trailers for many years. From Or to Fl. 6 times. Always pulling large heavy trailers.
With out checking every state laws, I only know in OR anything over 2000# requires brakes. Axels???????? Depends on gross weight you will be hauling. All axels are rated@
max.gross wt.
I believe ea.state varies. I can tell you this,being in steel fabrication all my life,I never build just to the minimum.
In my personal experience,and the loads I pull I "always use at least two axels and the best brakes possible." Call me overlly cautious but so far,I've never had a brake down
and always been able to stop. I would not pull any trailer without brakes. (on all axels)

Regards
Brandy

Return to “General Discussion”