• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor Windlass

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

Anchor Windlass

Post by Ron222 »

For my new Albin34 purchase, I am wondering if any Albin owners can recommend a good, reliable anchor windlass. I have lots of winter projects and now that I removed the pulpit it may be a good time to have the windlass installed. I think it is important to have a windlass with the deck switch so that my wife can turn off and on herself and not have to call out commands to the bridge. Can anyone recommend which brand of anchor windlass is best for the A34?
Ron 222
Middletown, CT
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anchor Windlass

Post by Capt Paul »

I have a Horizon 500 on my Albin 28,it's made by Lewmar Marine. This is the first boat I have owned that needed/had a windlass, so I have nothing to compare it too. I can tell you I have never had a problem with it. I recently had to order a new GYPSEY for it and that turned out to be a little of a fiasco but got cleared up with some help from Lewmar customer service.

I highly suggest the deck switches. As you say it will be much easier for the person going forward. I have done a few single handed trips and boy do I wish I had them on my boat. Less trips back and forth means less of a chance of falling in :wink:

As long as your gypsy is in good shape, you can pretty much do everything from the helm.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I had a Lewmar Pro Series H1000 windlass installed on my Albin 30FC and up to now, after three years of use, have had no problems. I purchased the windlass on sale from West Marine at $699. The H1000 is oversize for my boat, but the selling Albin dealer recommended going one size up from what is suggested and I am glad I did. I have had no problems with the gypsy.
I also had deck switches installed and would not be without them. You have to be careful however because if the switch is activated a crew member can accidently step on the switch and release the anchor (as when entering a lock gate in the Rideau Canal on a busy day!). The deck switches can be turned off from the cockpit however and it is a good idea to do if there is no intention of using the anchor.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

johnmurray wrote:I also had deck switches installed and would not be without them. You have to be careful however because if the switch is activated a crew member can accidently step on the switch and release the anchor (as when entering a lock gate in the Rideau Canal on a busy day!). The deck switches can be turned off from the cockpit however and it is a good idea to do if there is no intention of using the anchor.
A safety line tied to the rail and a snap hook to the chain will alleviate any worry. After a couple of seasons I added one.

My Horizon 500 is a joy .... the previous Dorado :roll: .
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”