• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Running shower in head

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Running shower in head

Post by Mariner »

Since taking delivery, the hot water in the head shower has continually run at a pace of about 1-2gph. This is a problem because over the course of a weekend, we will lose at least 50 gallons of fresh water down the shower drain, and out the shower sump. I've disassembled the valve stem numerous times looking for a flaw, but found nothing. A replacement was not available at any marine or hardware store. Replacing the entire faucet is a major undertaking as it requires the removal of the entire shower liner.

I called the local Albin dealer (Bellingham Yachts) and their shipwright (fancy term for service guy) said that it was a Scandvik brand faucet and that they are notorious for leaking. I contacted the customer service guy at Scandvik (Scott) and asked him and he said they sell replacement valves for $25 each. I haven't bought one, and am contemplating replacing the faucet with a higher quality unit, or avoiding the project and just replacing the valve stem of the current unit.

Does anyone else have this unit in their Albin?
http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/metho ... ID/107.htm

If so, does it leak?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
My hot water doesn't work in the shower. The sink is fine. Now I'm wondering if the previous owner had a leak and just turned it off somwhere. I was thinking about replacing the whole unit until, like you, I saw what a job it will be. Mine, of course, is not the same setup as yours but I'm wondering...

Denis - Do you have this problem on your TE?

Anyone else?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

shower

Post by AlMar »

Our's isn't so flashy, fancy, cool looking :( But it works great :D
AlMar
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

My faucets in the head, both the shower and the sink faucet are Delta or Gerber faucets. Fairly easy to repair and should be easy to find parts for. They both work fine right now but I have looked at how they are installed just in case. Both of those faucets are changed by lifting the hatch between the seats, laying on your back with your head facing the front of the boat and looking up against the bulkhead. You will see the supply lines and nuts that connect and hold those faucets in place. Use a basin wrench to take off the water lines and nuts and the faucets will come right out. That is how mine is constructed anyway. If you can't change the shower faucet, how about getting a shower head with a shut off on the hand wand? Just a thought. Let me know if your boat is set up differently than mine. Denis
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Denis,

The shower head does have a shutoff, and it does minimize the flow, but it doesn't completely stop it. It's only designed to be a temporary shutoff to save water while showering, not to be a permanent no-leak valve.

I wonder if one could access the back of the faucet by crawling into the bilge? It would be a heck of a job and not one I'd want to do. I'd rather remove the shower liner.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”