• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

fuel tank

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

fuel tank

Post by te102056 »

I have a 1980 43'. Fuel tanks show some signs of rust on the topside. Should I scrape rust off and oil it or what? Also, the boat spent most of its life in salt water. Five years ago it was moved to fresh water. Two years ago was the last time that it was run. At that time the boat was winterized. It has not been used since. What should I do when I get ready to start things back up. I have heard that you just need to turn the starter for a few minutes without allowing the motors to start. Thereby lubricating the engine. Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks
Tom
TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: fuel tank

Post by TheJudge »

"A few minutes" may be just an expression but in case you really mean it may I suggest that you will burn up a starter that way. I would suggest you begin by spraying a squirt or two of 30W oil in each cylinder as even with winterizing so long ago there is likely rust on the cylinder walls and a little help is in order to keep from scoring them. Let this oil sit an hour or so and then make sure you have good fuel supply with no air in the lines and try to crank her up. Good luck.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

turn the starter for a few minutes without allowing the motors to start
Personally I think "a few minutes" is way too much. You be smoking the wires/starter up for no good reason. If you are going to use that method, turn the starter until you get 15 to 20 psi of oil pressure, maybe 15 seconds) then release the stop button and let the engine fire up.
Assuming new oil in the engine of course.
Let it run just above idle speed, say at 800 to 900 rpm, check for coolant leaks, etc., until the engine temp comes up to at least 100 F, as it may not get higher at idle. Run it like that for a while.
Then I would change the oil.
You will need to remove the injectors if you want to squirt oil in the cylinders. That method would not be my choice unless the engine and engine room were a ball of rust. If that is the case then I would also suggest barring it over with a wrench before hitting the starter button.

On the fuel tanks....I would spray a rust inhibitor on as much as you can reach, understanding that rusty black iron tanks that will eventually need replacing are one of the achillees heels of these old boats.
Check your incomming (to the engine) fuel quality by changing the filters and see what they look like after an hour of running and make a judgement call. Also wait until you see how the engine(s) do as fuel tank replacement is easier with the engines out of the way.

That's my opinion. The above would be my approach knowing what little I know of your situation.
Let us know how it goes.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

te102056 wrote:I have a 1980 43'. Fuel tanks show some signs of rust on the topside. Should I scrape rust off and oil it or what? Also, the boat spent most of its life in salt water. Five years ago it was moved to fresh water. Two years ago was the last time that it was run. At that time the boat was winterized. It has not been used since. What should I do when I get ready to start things back up. I have heard that you just need to turn the starter for a few minutes without allowing the motors to start. Thereby lubricating the engine. Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks
Tom
The proper thing to use on a rusty surface is "Ospho," available at a large auto parts place, or boat yard. Follow the directions on the can.

30 year old tanks are trouble waiting to happen, and it's trouble you don't want. Replacing the tanks is actually easier than dealing with a bilge full of diesel. You might start by addressing the cause of the top of the rust, which most likely is that the seal between the deck and fuel fitting needs resealing. The polysulfide sealers they used is only good for 20 years, and it's been 30.

Get ready for a leak in the tank. If you start now you can take your time and plan it all out, making some improvements, like sight gauges and a fuel circulating system.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”