• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Questions regarding albin and jefferson

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

Questions regarding albin and jefferson

Post by te102056 »

I am considering a 1980 43' albin. However, it is taking some time to make this deal go through. So, while waiting, I have come across a 1989 Jefferson Sundeck. It has two Cummins 300 engines. It is 37' and seems to be in good condition. I like the look of the trawler better but like the age and condition of the other better. There isn't hardly any outer teak to deal with. But, having two large motors will it be a whole lot less economical than the albin? Doe anyone know anything about the quality or reputation of the Jefferson?
Thanks
Tom
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Questions regarding albin and jefferson

Post by jcollins »

I think your compaing a trawler to a cruiser. The Albin runs around 10 knots, with twin 135s? The Jefferson till top out at 16 knots with twin 300s. Are those the original motors in the Jefferson? They may be a refit. From what I have seen the originals were 250s. I am certainly no expert and am partial to the Albin but the Jefferson is a nice boat.
From what I have read around here, not having all that teak on the outside is not a bad thing.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The 1989 boat could have had 300 hp Cummins. They were around at the time.
A 1980 Albin won't see 10 knots except "maybe" at WOT.
If they both have twins, they would likely be similar in economy PROVIDED you run both boats at hull speed (around 7 knots).
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

jleonard wrote:The 1989 boat could have had 300 hp Cummins. They were around at the time.
A 1980 Albin won't see 10 knots except "maybe" at WOT.
If they both have twins, they would likely be similar in economy PROVIDED you run both boats at hull speed (around 7 knots).
Jleonard,
What is your cruising speed?

Just curious,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by te102056 »

Top speed is 23 knots
Cruising speed is 20 knots
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My cruising speed with a single engine is 7 knots. Top end is 8.5 knots.
I've talked with owners of twin engine Albins and they say they don't do much better...maybe an 8 knot cruise and 10 topped out.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm not familiar with the Jefferson brand. Perhaps a link to the listing would help.

But it sounds like you're comparing a trawler to a cruiser with a planing hull. If so, your fuel consumption will be VERY different, even at displacement speeds. That's not necessarily a reason to avoid the boat, but it's certainly something you should be aware of. The seller ought to be able to provide some consumption data.

Return to “General Discussion”