• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

rudder size

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jillsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

rudder size

Post by jillsusan »

I have been reading that the rudder size on the 28 flush decks are too large--causing problems with steering

has anyone altered the size of the rudder on their 28 and have a jpeg of the new version? I read on here that it has been done but cannot email the person who had it done.

plus does this effect the boat only moving forward and turning to starboard? does it also improve handling in following sea, and following qtr sea.

I own my 28 for 5 years so i know all the handling issues-- just looking for some solutions. to be honest even with the handling issues due to the rudder size the boat still is a tank in the water-- any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: rudder size

Post by TheJudge »

As a disclaimer I know nothing about your particular boat but my general understanding is that the larger the rudder the more responsive the steering. Some boats have even installed an articulated rudder to increase the surface area for this very reason.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Here's a picture of the rudder. This is the design from Albin in 2006.
As far as handling, I think she runs very well in quartering and following seas. Turning to starboard is a little slower than port and the turns aren't very tight. At slow speeds, there is very little response without prop wash.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Hey John, How did that zinc paint work out for you this year? Going to put it on again?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

The zinc paint worked great on the prop and rudder. They stayed clean all year despite the fact we missed a couple of summer weekends. Trim Tabs are still an issue. The zinc paint didn't work well on these at all but we also had a very bad year for growth in Rock Creek, very bad! I may go back to prop speed on the tabs, haven't decided yet. I'll stick with the zinc on the prop and rudder, very happy with that.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TheJudge »

Now that I have seen the picture that rudder is absolutely too small, not too big. You could do wonders for that turning radius with an articulated rudder. Go to rudderpower.com and take a careful look at the site. Also you may go to Passagemaker's website and search articulated rudder. There is a very informative article.
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

[Now that I have seen the picture that rudder is absolutely too small]

You should not run too this conclusion. There is a lot of hull designed factors to be considered before you can properly determine rudder size. If I remember right the first flush deck models were using the same rudder as the engine box models. That larger rudder was producing some adverse effects in the handling of the flush deck. It was enough of a problem to make Albin go back to the drawing board and find a solution. The solution was a smaller rudder and shaped as you see it pictured.

I do not know what Albin determined was the cause of the problem. I am not a boat designer so don’t take what I say to the bank. I will share my thoughts but I could be all wrong.

If I remember right the flush deck was cutting and leaning hard to one side with hard right or left rudder impute. To provide for a lower mounting of the engine on the flush deck model they moved it forward. The forward shift of weight combined with the droop nose hull design might have caused this effect.

One thing for sure they went with a smaller rudder to cure their problem.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

JillSusan --- I received your e-mail and saw your post ... Follow this link to an earlier thread on the subject viewtopic.php?f=5&t=184&hilit=+steering it pretty much follows up to Mayemarie's post. You will see JackK's post which shows his rudder before and after retrofit. You may want to consider updating your rudder it sounds like your rudder is from the engine box model before Albin realized there would be steerage were issues using the large rudder on the "New" FLUSH DECK. Buck Algonquin made both rudders for Albin and they available to view in their on-line catalog.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
philipjmcb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhope Al

Re: rudder size/shape

Post by philipjmcb »

I have a 2006 30FC which does not want to reverse, only prop wash.
Looking for Buck rudder make size/shape or anyone who has done a modification on the rudder to correct reversing issues. Thanks.

Return to “General Discussion”