• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raw water strainer cap

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Raw water strainer cap

Post by Marcy K »

Hello,

I hope someone may have input for us. On our A 27 we had a Perko raw water strainer and were able to purchase a "Thoro-Flush" cap so that winterization was a snap. This cap also allowed its use as a strong bilge pump - having the engine pull the water out of the bilge if ever the need arose (hole in the hull). A hose attached to the top of the cap and after the valve on the cap is switched, the antifreeze water is drawn through the hose and into the engine. Our new to us A 34 has a Groco raw water strainer and when I Googled the "Thoro-Flush", I found that they are no longer in business. Does anyone know if there is a similar device that will fit the Groco (ARG) strainer cap? Thank you. Marcy
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Raw water strainer cap

Post by jleonard »

You can always tap the cover and install your own fittings and valve.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
snewman
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Raw water strainer cap

Post by snewman »

On my A27 I installed an in line garden hose connection. When not in use, I have a cap I screw onto the connection. To winterize (or suck water from the bildge or anywhere else I suppose) I screw a garden hose onto the fitting, close the thru hull and start the engine. I was really amazed at how much antifreeze (or water) that pump moved.
It sounds like this is doing the same thing as the connection to your raw water pump.
Scott

Return to “Albin Maintenance”