• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

vent for head

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

vent for head

Post by GoFish »

There is a handle (it's blue on our boat) that opens a vent for the head. We have to open it in order to pump out. My question is, should it remain open, or only when we pump out?
Thanks in advance!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: vent for head

Post by jcollins »

GoFish,
Which model do you have? Where is the handle? I don't have a vent that I know of. Are you talking about the overboard discharge valve? If so, that should be capped and locked for boating on the Chesapeake.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GoFish »

The boat is a 2001 31 TE and the head/pump is jabso, I believe. It's not the overboard discharge -- that is capped and locked. This is a smaller lever that is located below the hole where you pump out. we bought the boat this year The first time we went to the pump out station, we couldnt get anything to come out through the hose -- finally figured out that by lifting this lever we got suction. I just dont know if it's supposed to stay open or only open when pumping out. Up until now we've only had boats with porta-pottys!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mahalo? Are you reading this?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

GoFish wrote:There is a handle (it's blue on our boat) that opens a vent for the head. We have to open it in order to pump out. My question is, should it remain open, or only when we pump out?
Thanks in advance!
I'm a bit confused as to the terminology being used ..... specifically "vent" ... Do you mean a Y valve? They have blue handles as do the water in-take and overboard discharge ball valves. Also curious as to the type of head you have. Is it a manual Jabsco or an electric? The answers to these two questions would be of immense help in troubleshooting your problem.

The only "vent" for a Jabsco head system is outside. It allows: 1). air to be displaced from the holding tank when the head is evacuated / flushed or 2). air to enter the holding tank when pumped out or macerated overboard so that the tank does not collapse.

There is a schematic in the Library (pages 15 and 16) on the TE series regarding the 2 types of head set-ups.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

This is the Y valve Kevin is referring to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GoFish »

Thanks, Kevin and Rob. I will take a closer look this weekend, but I am pretty sure that is it. The toilet is electric. I know I have to open it when we pump out, but do we keep it open when the head is "on"?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

GoFish wrote:Thanks, Kevin and Rob. I will take a closer look this weekend, but I am pretty sure that is it. The toilet is electric. I know I have to open it when we pump out, but do we keep it open when the head is "on"?
I have the Jabsco electric head as well. That "Y" Valve your referring to either directs the waste from the tank to your macerator or to the the waste fitting on deck for pumpout. When within 3 miles of shore that valve should be turned to pumpout in order to comply with discharge regulations so that nobody could accidently hit the 12 volt macerator switch and everything go overboard. The overboard ball valve should be closed as well. There is one more "Y" valve inside the head vanity mounted on the outside starboard wall. When this valve is pointed overboard the waste goes directly to the overboard ball valve for direct discharge. If pointed in (or pulled towards you) will send the waste to the holding tank. I understand your confusion as I stood in your shoes 6 seasons ago after taking delivery of my ALBIN. Keep us posted as to your understanding and familiarity.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

"Mahalo are you listening"
Sorry i missed that one John. I must admit I am also a bit confused using the two sets of valves. Evidently after pumping out over board and several times at the pup station I must have it down but am a bit confused when explaning it. My potti is a manuel setup.
Glad Kevin Pitou was able to explain it for him. I did put a zip tie on the valve handle to keep it in a "locked" position. :?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “Albin Maintenance”