• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Grey water

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Grey water

Post by GoFish »

We have a 2001 31 TE. For the life of me, I can't figure out where the water from the sinks drain. There is a sump for, I assume, the shower, but we seem to accumulate a lot of (fresh) water in the bilge in that area. I am pretty sure the pump in the shower sump is not working. Is that supposed to handle all the grey water, or just the shower? If not, does anyone know how or where the rest of it is discharged?

Go Fish
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Grey water

Post by Carl »

On the 28s the sinks all drain overboard via a through hull just above the waterline. The shower sump is just that, unless they plumbed the condensate line from your A/C into it also. If you have A/C and they did not plumb it into the shower sump, that could be one of your sources of bildge water. Im sure this is no different on a 31.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

On my 31 sinks drain out the fittings just above the water line port & starboard. There always seems to be a bit of water in the forward hull just around the shower sump pump as the forward bilge is a bit high off the floor to pick up all water. I read somewhere I can tie in the air conditioner condensation line to the shower sump but have not got around to doing it.
Try running water in the sinks & look over board for the dischages. Check sink drain hose connections in the bilge area to be sure they are secure, otherwise sinks will drain into bilge.
I only switch the shower sump on when using the shower
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

On our 31, the shower sump only goes on if you turn it on; it's not automatic like the bilge pumps. I haven't checked to see where the air conditioner condensate goes, but thanks for mentioning that; we'll check!

KathyN
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

KathyN wrote:On our 31, the shower sump only goes on if you turn it on; it's not automatic like the bilge pumps. I haven't checked to see where the air conditioner condensate goes, but thanks for mentioning that; we'll check!

KathyN
You might want to check your shower sump to see if there is a float switch. The float switch on my sump had stuck in the active position and worked as you described until I cleared the float switch of debris.
If you look at the shower sump you can see the drain hose coming from the shower and in my case the line coming aft from the a/c unit to a second port on the sump. You have to remember to turn on the shower sump when the a/c is running or the sump overflows ... done that more than once :oops:
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I'll have to take a look. Didnt know shower sump could overflow .
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I believe Albin used the ready-made sump boxes for the shower and A/C drains. Our 36' has three, one for the shower, and one each for the A/C units. The shower sump frequently clogs and sticks in the "on" position. It's a PITA to get to, so I leave it as-is until the next time I have an excuse to go under the guest berth.

It is completely normal for boats to drain their "gray" water overboard. For this reason, you should always use biodegradable soap for handwashing, dishes, and showers.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”