• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin Hull Construction

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

scotttaylor

Albin Hull Construction

Post by scotttaylor »

Can someone shoot me an email who is knowledgeable as to what materials were used in what models. For instance, an Express 36 Trawler.....does the bottom (running surfaces) have core material? Plywood, balsa, foam? Or might it be solid GRP?

Similar question for the 28's?

S.T.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Albin Hull Construction

Post by jcollins »

Check out this article. It may give you some insight.

http://www.albinmarine.com/yachts/Press ... tical.html
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KathyN »

John, when was this article published? Do you have any idea when the different changes were made? I wonder what the material is in our '97 31TE........and how to find out.

Thanks for your--as always--knowledgeable response.

KathyN
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Yes. No date on that article. I found it in 2005 on a very outdated Albin site. My guess is mid to late 90s. I checked date stamps on the article and photos. No luck.
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The webpage was generated by Adobe GoLive 6 (view>source), which was introduced around 2002 and was discontinued recently as version 9. Somewhere between 02 and 05 I would guess.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Thank Ric! 8)
John
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I was told from Standish that the Air-ex was used from model year '02 forward and thought that was the case with my hull .... no such luck. Drilling a hole for a new transducer this past spring revealed a wood core of approx. 1 1/8 inches. Though my model year is '02 the bottom piece was molded in '01 / I found a hull ID imprint inside behind the port side dinette cushions of June '01, but the hull ID on the transom is January '02 .... oh well .... I don't own what I thought I bought. The upside .... the core was dry as a bone. 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Kevin,

The core controversy lives on, but it is largely meaningless to a fastidious boat owner like yourself. If your core is dry and good now and you know how to keep it that way by doing the proper installation procedure when installing or replacing any though hulls there will never be a problem. The issue comes in when buying a used boat from someone who did not follow those guidelines and was not polite enough to inform you of his or her own stupidity. Alas, there are a lot of stupid people in the world. Look on the bright side, Albins are noted for their sturdy construction, sea keeping, and longevity. All that would be reduced with a non cored hull. You would have to give up the rigidity and strength or add thousands of pounds of weight. Its a tradeoff. Myself I'll take the well maintained core.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “General Discussion”