• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Blown Fuse?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Blown Fuse?

Post by Mike »

After a great day out we were back into our slip. While I was using the bowthruster I loss use of nav equipment and the thruster. The nav equipment that is not directly wired to the battery. I have checked all breakers, in line fuses, guest switch, and batteries. The engine will start. I am at a loss - :?:
Time Out Annapolis
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Blown Fuse?

Post by Carl »

I bet Skip did something while working on that hose clamp! :mrgreen: Just kidding. I would start with the battery connections, by removeing and cleaning. From there just keep checking with a meter until you find the problem. My bet is it is a poor connection, or fuse. Good luck.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

I am still thinking Skip!!
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Come to find out I missed a fuse behind the batteries. :oops: The good news is that the bowthruster, which has always been weak, now has clean and tight terminals and is running much better.
Time Out Annapolis
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Mike, are your batteries up to snuff. If not they will cause all kinds of issues trying to run the thruster and or your windless. I had a real problem with weak batteries.

Tiny
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

No, Chief. Got brand new ones last year and check them twice a year. We are good in the battery department. Hope things have been well with you!
Time Out Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mike wrote:Come to find out I missed a fuse behind the batteries. :oops: The good news is that the bowthruster, which has always been weak, now has clean and tight terminals and is running much better.
Mike,
You simply cleaned connections and see a performance increase?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Apparently there was a little corrosion that was wire brushed off and the connections were a bit loose. Seems to be working better now.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The bow thruster is very dependent on getting enough AMPs. Low batteries, corroded wiring and/or connectors will reduce power and cause the electric motor excessive wear and tear, eventually overheating and burning brushes etc. If you have a Yanmar be careful to watch the voltmeter when you first start your engine. There is an electric preheat element that warms incoming air until the engine gets warmed. You will notice that the voltmeter stays low (11 V) for a few minutes then pops up to about 13V. Operating the bow thruster during that preheat time will produce noticibly less power, lower RPMs from the thruster, and will wear your brushes and rotor faster.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “Albin Maintenance”